Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bnwelch@gmail.com is offline

Default Best Adhesive And Filler For Fixing Old Dovetails?

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 5:32:01 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 11:52:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 6:57:33 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 11:01:22 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 10:01:53 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 8:48:11 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 2/23/2019 9:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need to repair a couple of drawers that have dried out dovetail joints. 2
drawers, maybe 16 pins.

I don't need anything like a full West Systems kit of epoxy and filler, bugt
I need something other than straight wood glue to fill in the gaps.

I could try wood glue and sawdust, but I'm wondering if there is something
better/neater.

Make shims for the pins to fill if they've shrunk, don't just try to
fill. Pictures would help...

This is the worst of the 2 drawers. The other one can probably be fixed
with just glue.

https://i.imgur.com/6qk7GxW.jpg

I'm with Dr. Deb. I would try epoxy first because it's thin enough to seep into those cracks when you push it in with a finger. If that didn't work, I would try Gorilla-type glue because it expands to
fit the crevices. You'd have to do trim the excess glue when done.

Please explain your comment "If that didn't work".

If you were doing this, what exactly would be your plan to see if epoxy "worked" and then move
on to Gorilla-type glue if it didn't?

Might I suggest stabilizing/locking the joint by drilling up from the bottom and inserting/gluing a 1/4" (?) dowel in each corner? Even a drill point screw might work with a proper pilot hole (may have to work from the top as well).
Once stabilized you could work with shims/epoxy/filler of your choice to pretty up the appearance...
Unless of course, I am missing the entire point of the thread (which I have been known to do

I don't think that you are missing the point of the thread - which is to
repair a drawer - but considering that I've barely got 5/16" of material
to work with, there's not much that I could "insert" into the joint.

Sorry, didn't realize the drawer components were so thin...As someone else mentioned, scale down the reinforcing "pin" accordingly...