Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmable GU10 LED lamps?

On 27/02/2019 13:23, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 11:50:14 UTC, T i m wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys, this is the sort of 'real world' feedback
I was hoping for.

I'm wondering now if the starting point was a good one, eg this 3 way
fitting with GU10 lamps? [1] Ok, the user (a young 'goth' g) liked
it being provided for her (along with the black walls, all part of the
surprise) but none of that makes good lighting 'easy',

Goths don't like bright lighgting, you'd be better off with candles but for safety those arcitechal fliment LEDs might be better or even a few UV bulbs.
There were 3 types of Goth Perky, mopey and cyber goths.

and hence why I
was aware of not wanting to make the room any darker whilst trying to
offer more control of the light level whilst saving them energy.

But for goths a room can't be made dark enough ;-)

Maybe I'll run the idea of changing the fitting to something more
suited to the more powerful LED lamps available easier in the bigger
bases (BS / ES) but retaining the idea of providing the remoteable
dimming function to give her something to play with.

Nice idea, she can practice the two step and the tree waving in the wind dance.

If *I* had been party to choosing the light fitting I think I would
have considered the availability of lamps and generally at the cost of
any ideal 'style' (I'm not a form over function type of guy). ;-)

But goths are ;-)

As a aside, the heat given off by the 150W of halogen wasn't such an
issue when it's cold but would be as the temperatures start to go up
... and because it's a bit dark in there (black walls and bed sheets
etc) you do still often need the lights on in there, even when it's
fairly light outside (or sooner than you might if the walls where
white etc).

I knew a goth that slept in a coffin.

Long ago I spent a weekend with a friend in a rented castle on the
Scottish borders. There were about 150 of us and various events going
on. The organiser, who was also a fire-eater, was a goth and the
caretaker was quite surprised to find him sleeping in a coffin in the
gun room!

SteveW