Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmable GU10 LED lamps?

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Hi all,

We have one of those 3 lamp ceiling spotlights that currently has 3 x
50W halogen lamps in it that I would like to change to LED and one of
the dimmer switches that was previously recommended in another thread.

However, I've never used / had a GU10 fitting or even changed a lamp
(thst I remember) and certainly don't therefore have any feel for just
how bright they may be (ITRW) in comparison with the supposed
watt-equavalent halogen.

I recently did this. Dimmable bought from TLC. Not as bright as 50w
halogen, closer to the smaller ones - 35w? Light quality not quite as good
either (warm white). But overall, reasonably happy.

They also seem to range in price considerably and I'm not sure how
likely that would reflect quality / reliability etc?

So, could anyone personally recommend a 'good' (VFM / reliability /
light level and dimmable) LED GU10 lamp please?

I think we would want 'warm white' (it's in a bedroom) but ideally at
least as much light as seen from a (well 3x) 50W halogen lamp please
(if that's possible etc).

Sadly no low energy lamps ever seem to match the output of the larger
tungsten types, despite the claims.

+1

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the effective angle of
illumination is often much less with a led, too. Also, despite TH lamps
having a very bright filament, it seems to me that leds can "outglare"
them with their often very bright pinpoints of light. However, I
recently bought some GU10 leds which had the front glass frosted. These
provide a much nicer light without glare.

--

Jeff