Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Best Adhesive And Filler For Fixing Old Dovetails?

On 2/24/2019 11:07 AM, dpb wrote:

It's tedious work at best, unfortunately.Â* I did something similar to
drawers on the work clothes dresser in the basement a few years
ago...they were in far worse shape and ended up ripping down the side of
the drawer and replacing the bottom 1" or so with new pins cut to match.

They had had nails and other hardware inserted over the years that had
really split and sundered pieces--you at least have (mostly) intact
starting point.Â* The soft gum with the shallow angle is the major issue
of why they failed.

Sorry picture w/ cell phone but...

https://imgur.com/a/Rz0s6BI

The bottom you can see I replaced entirely because the soft pine had
worn down so badly over the years the drawers would barely function at
all...doesn't look like those are so badly worn.

The gap showing in the drawer at bottom is the groove for drawer bottom;
they were cut through. You can see the material added to the bottom of
the third pin.

I didn't take exquisite care here but the fit wasn't much better than
yours when I started...now they are tight, no nails, no epoxy, no filler...

It's somewhat tedious hand work but really not _that_ difficult.