Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default What Are They - Rivets?

dpb writes:
On 2/25/2019 10:04 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
dpb writes:
On 2/25/2019 7:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There are still rivets and a few sections from the old McCormick-Deering
twine binder, the Massey Model 90 combine and I don't recall what else
there, but "ya' never know" when the need may arise...

Used both of them (well, the massey 60 pull-behind combine anyway),
back in the day (60's/70's).

Our last pull-type was old Gleaner---we kids played on it as all kinds
of things it could become with the big spoked wheel on the operator
platform could be ship's wheel or...

http://www.lurndal.org/images/thresh1-300.jpg

That's stationary thresher--not sure exactly which...

Not sure. It was painted red. I don't have any pictures
of the binder, unfortunately, and it was auctioned off when
my Grandparents passed.

Side view of threshing rig (with the Farmall B pulling the hayrack):

http://www.lurndal.org/images/thresh2-300.jpg

And a poor front view with the Farmall M running the belt

http://www.lurndal.org/images/thresh2-300.jpg

All circa 1972 or thereabouts.

and the Massey baler:

http://www.lurndal.org/images/baler.jpg

Here's video of a twine binder -- been converted to PTO or perhaps by
'30s maybe Deering had shifted over. Ours had been converted to pull by
tractor but was still ground drive...

Yeah, our (well Grandfathers) binder was also ground drive. Spent several
summers following it around shocking oats.