Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Time for a new desk top PC, recommendations please

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 07:05:52 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 22 February 2019 17:48:57 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 22/02/2019 10:45, Robin wrote:
On 22/02/2019 09:17, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

I've not seen the need for an SSD as it boots really fast (but boots
rarely). The last time I rebooted was a couple of weeks ago, when we
had an extended power cut. Happy to have an SSD in the laptop, but
otherwise I see no need.

if one wants a really quiet PC an SSD avoids even the little noise
from a quiet HDD on anti-vibration mounts

It's the fan that is noisy on mine. I know you can go fanless (or water
cooled).

I can hardly hear my mac mini or my iMac fans they both have fans that
spin slowly as the design is better as it just doesn't need brute force
using cheap fans to cool it.

My desktops are all home built in big Corsair cases (Obsidian 500D). Lots
of space, big thermostatically controlled fans that spin slowly (if at
all) and quietly. And the graphics card is passively cooled. Some of them
have four spinning disk, but the cases do have some soundproofing and the
noise is very low.