Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default What Are They - Rivets?

On 2/25/2019 10:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/24/2019 9:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've had these for 30+ years, just hanging around in the bottom drawer
of a
old, narrow set of drawers I brought home from a dead relative's shop.

https://i.imgur.com/QSAZi4n.jpg

The whole batch weighs just over 1/2 lb. I'm guessing aluminum.

https://i.imgur.com/qfGHKa5.jpg

They were found in a drawer with curved bottomed sections. The drawers
must
have been modified. Only 2 of the 8 have the curves and it looks like
they
had straight dividers at some time.

https://i.imgur.com/FKs6ApK.jpg

I wonder why those curved bottoms were added.

I used rivets like this in shop class, in 1969.

You drill a hole through pieces of metal to be attached with a rivet.

You slide the rivet through the holes, round end sits on an anvil with a
cupped indention that matches the shape of the rivet.

You take a large ball peen hammer and whack the rivet until the end
flares out and captures the pieces of metal.

I do not recall the name of the tool, but you place a hand held tool,
with a similar indentation as the anvil, over the end you just finished
hammering and give it a couple of blows to form a finished look to the
end of the rivet.

FWIW the curved bottoms are the closed end of the rivet. AND the rivet
is complete, there is no other piece to go with it.

I still have, well my son has, the band iron magazine rack that I built
50 years ago.
IIRC the band iron was 1/8" thick and 1"~1.5" wide.

There are 12 separate pieces of band iron and 23 rivets.