Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default What Are They - Rivets?

On 2/24/2019 9:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've had these for 30+ years, just hanging around in the bottom drawer of a
old, narrow set of drawers I brought home from a dead relative's shop.

https://i.imgur.com/QSAZi4n.jpg

The whole batch weighs just over 1/2 lb. I'm guessing aluminum.

https://i.imgur.com/qfGHKa5.jpg

They were found in a drawer with curved bottomed sections. The drawers must
have been modified. Only 2 of the 8 have the curves and it looks like they
had straight dividers at some time.

https://i.imgur.com/FKs6ApK.jpg

I wonder why those curved bottoms were added.

I used rivets like this in shop class, in 1969.

You drill a hole through pieces of metal to be attached with a rivet.

You slide the rivet through the holes, round end sits on an anvil with a
cupped indention that matches the shape of the rivet.

You take a large ball peen hammer and whack the rivet until the end
flares out and captures the pieces of metal.

I do not recall the name of the tool, but you place a hand held tool,
with a similar indentation as the anvil, over the end you just finished
hammering and give it a couple of blows to form a finished look to the
end of the rivet.