Horatio Hornblower

Default Washing machine drain backs up!

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:21:42 -0500, Speedy Jim wrote:

:Horatio Hornblower wrote:
:
: Went to Home Depot today and they had a laundry sink that JUST FIT in my
: space. Another 1/4 inch, or even 1/8 inch and I wouldn't have gotten it
: in there unless I moved the water heater, and it can only move 1/2 inch
: - assuming I could move it at all, being filled with water and all.
:
: Hooking the sink up to the drain is a problem and what I think I'm going
: to do is scuttle the trap that I have. I could use it except that it's
: put together with glue. I need to put an extension in it of around 4
: inches so it will reach the sink. Can't do that cause it's glued, so
: I'll have to buy another 2 inch trap.
:
: I figure it's a lot of extra security. Someday, that thing was going to
: back up again, maybe sooner than later. It's just a black box and I
: don't know what shape it's in. Right now it works (the standpipe), but I
: have no way of knowing if it's something I can depend on for 10-20 years
: or just a month.
:
:The laundry tub outlet will be 1 1/2" (tubular size) like a kitchen
:sink.
:Get rid of all the 2" stuff sigh.
:
:Put the old galv elbow back on and buy a 1 1/2" plastic P-trap
:intended for sinks (comes with compression slip nuts).
Of course you'll need to extend things to get to the sink outlet.)
:
:Jim

Thanks, Jim. Yep, I'm aware that the sink outlet is 1.5 inch. I figured
this while at HD: Why not use the trap I have instead of getting one of
those 1.5 inch white PVC traps? Anyway, the kit they had ($7) was
configured to connect to a pipe coming out of a wall horizontally. I'd
need more fittings to make it work.

Unfortunately (well, it was no surprise at all) the 2 inch trap didn't
quite reach the sink outlet (4 inches short, actually). I figure this:

That elbow, well, I could put it back on, but it would have to face the
opposite direction from where it was - very doable. But - that elbow
only had about 2 parallel threads that weren't badly rusted. It's a
wonder I got it off at all. It was only the pounding with two hammers
simultaneously that got it loose enough where I could crank it off with
my 18 inch pipe wrench. The standpipe's threads look fine, at least from
the side I could see it. I wire brushed them and even applied some 3in1
oil to them with an old tooth brush, hoping that would prevent further
rusting.

Picking through the many bins of plastic pipe fittings at Home Depot
yesterday I came up with two I decided to buy with the sink:

1. Thick black plastic (is that what they call ABS?) 1.5 inch connector
that connects nicely to the sink outlet that has a 1.5 inch male
opposite end.

2. Same material 1.5 inch to 2 inch adapter.

The two of them cost me around $2.50.

I figure that it will only cost me $10-12 or so to get another 2 inch
P-trap, along with another 2 inch female to screw onto the standpipe,
and included I'll get a 2 inch connector - female at both ends to
accommodate the 4 inch or so extension (that will actually go in the
middle of the P-trap) I'll need to make this reach the sink. Once the
end of the extended P-trap is right underneath the sink outlet, a short
piece of 2 inch straight will finish the connection to the 1.5-2
adapter.

My only concern is that if I glue it up, it won't be adjustable, and I
figure there's no way I'm going to know exactly if it will fit, so I
can't glue it at least until I'm sure it all fits. Maybe then I'll try
gluing it all together, or maybe I'll use duct tape for at least one of
the joints. I figure I can figure out how to make it leak free. I'm
pretty sure I'll be able to disassemble it all and remove the sink and
the trap if and when I want to even if I glue it all up (the room needs
paint bad, and I'm going to need to get the washer and sink out of
there). I will be able to get it all out because I'll get one of the 2
inch traps that have a nut in the middle (like the one I have now).

I really like the thick ABS (?) stuff compared to that flimsy thin white
PVC stuff.

I'm due to replace that water heater, cause it's about 12 years old and
an accident waiting to happen according to my brother. I was thinking of
a 50 gallon but now I think I will put another 40 gallon in there
because there's NO room to spare! In fact, I will try to free up a bit
more space. I could get another 2-3 inches by moving it left almost to
the gas connection, but there's a pipe whose function I don't know (I
bet you do). It's sweated copper, and I just noticed it yesterday. The
hot water out and cold water in are galvanized, but this copper comes
from the top of the tank and is connected to a steam blow-off valve. It
goes horizontally to the side of the tank and then goes down through the
floor. What's that?