Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dishwasher revival

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 3:54:24 PM UTC-5, Peter Jason wrote:

I had a dishwasher disaster when the steam therein
shorted out the ''control card''.

I now find I can live happily without one, no
doubt saving heaps on power & water.

Consider this option unless you run a boarding
house.

Per the literature, our Bosch uses 2.4 gallons of water for the typical load, and about 4.4 gallons for 'scrub-the-paint-off-a-board' mode - which we seldom use. And, as there is no direct heating element, there are no worries about melting anything or anyone getting burnt. It has the capacity to make its own hot water, although if the domestic hot water is enough (150F), it will not. As most of us do not keep our domestic water at 150F, that is also a useful feature. We do not have to scrape dishes, anything softer than a hard nut and smaller than walnut is fine, and crusty eggs, pasta sauce and similar are no challenge at all. Those hard nuts will simply wind up in the pan-filter, no clogs.

Point being that a well-designed unit will get dishes cleaner, using less water, less energy and fewer chemicals than hand-washing unless one is incredibly efficient about it. The dynamics change if one lives alone, or has on-site sanitation, tankless water heater and any of several other conditions that mitigate towards hand-washing.

Also useful for sterilizing radio chassis and other equipment that has been 'moused' or worse.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA