Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Built in appliances?

Brian Reay wrote:

I’m not so sure about the capacity being greater. I’ve certainly never
noticed it.

When we were re-doing our kitchen, we initially contemplated a
built-in fridge freezer. The overall dimensions were similar to
the freestanding one that we were replacing, but the capacity
figures were so much lower that initially I thought I had
miscalculated. I checked further and it was partly the greatly
increased thickness of insulation in modern appliances, and
partly the space taken for the housing, and the door having to
line up.

We were so nearly caught out, but eventually went for a 2 m high
freestanding Miele, with which we are very pleased. A substantial
piece of work, the interior arrangement seems to accommodate all
we need with ease (1). Although this is not a cheap fridge, it
came in less expensive than a built-in plus housing.

Washing machine and dishwasher are Neff built-in, and after
nearly 11 years are still working well.

We went for built-in because we thought it would look tidier,
but, since one is advised to leave the washing machine door ajar
after use to let it dry out, this is only partly achieved.

(1) Eventually supplemented by an upright freezer in the garage.
This is also full, and we don't know how we managed without it -
we do lots of batch cooking.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK