Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Built in appliances?

R D S wrote:
I've always poo poo-ed built in appliances but I was surprised to learn
that they (or dishwasher at least) have a greater interior capacity than
normal ones.

Just wondering what others opinions are?

Because we're redoing the kitchen and need (want) a new dishwasher and
our undercounter fridge has seen better days and can't decide which way
to go.

We went €˜built in €˜ may be 10 years back when we had the kitchen refitted.
The appliances were all AEG, other than the cooker hood.

They certainly look good, even 10 years on.

Im not so sure about the capacity being greater. Ive certainly never
noticed it. Weve an separate under counter fridge and freezer and the
fridge is a bit of a pain to find stuff in. Weve another, upright
fridge/freezer in the garage and finding stuff in there is far easier. The
drawers in the under counter freezer alleviate the problem there, it is
better than our chest freezer.

Weve replaced the dishwasher (at least once, maybe twice) and built in
units tend to be more expensive.

Our experience of AEG isnt that good. Induction hob has been brilliant,
ditto main fan oven. Combo microwave initially had a lot of issues but was
eventually fixed. Fridge and Freezer have had hinge trouble. Dishwasher was
a pain.