Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Best Adhesive And Filler For Fixing Old Dovetails?

On 2/24/2019 10:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 11:08:16 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 2/24/2019 10:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This is the worst of the 2 drawers. The other one can probably be fixed
with just glue.

https://i.imgur.com/6qk7GxW.jpg

That's basically the way those fit from new; you'll do more damage
messing with them than you'll fix. Leave 'em alone.

Unfortunately, I can't leave them alone. The previous image was when I was
squeezing the joint tight to show the gaps. This shows that it's completely
unglued.

https://i.imgur.com/A0Mkzv5.jpg

As far as disassembly, that may be the best I can/want to do. The joints
on the back of the drawer are solid. I might be able to loosen up the other
side and get the whole front off, but they somehow attached the track on the
bottom (that rides along the center rail) to the drawer bottom and front. The
track may be glued into a groove on the drawer front.

Further investigation is required.

Far better picture for the purpose...that shows the end of the tail on
RH is split from the drawer side and stuck in the front.

The gum being pretty soft has compressed some; the dovetail angles
weren't sharp-enough for the softer wood. Can't do much about those
problems now unless going to completely recut both.

This does show there is room for some shim material to refit the tails
to their sockets; the way one does this is to glue a piece of veneer or
the like to the tail then re-machine back down to the needed
size--basically it's _verysharp_ chisel/handwork time.

Ideally you could retrieve the broken tail piece from where it is and
reglue it before reassembling rather than just try to glue the break in
situ.

Whatever you do, don't just start dribbling epoxy or the like all over
everywhere.