Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Best Adhesive And Filler For Fixing Old Dovetails?

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 11:08:16 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 2/24/2019 10:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This is the worst of the 2 drawers. The other one can probably be fixed
with just glue.

https://i.imgur.com/6qk7GxW.jpg

That's basically the way those fit from new; you'll do more damage
messing with them than you'll fix. Leave 'em alone.

Unfortunately, I can't leave them alone. The previous image was when I was
squeezing the joint tight to show the gaps. This shows that it's completely
unglued.

https://i.imgur.com/A0Mkzv5.jpg

As far as disassembly, that may be the best I can/want to do. The joints
on the back of the drawer are solid. I might be able to loosen up the other
side and get the whole front off, but they somehow attached the track on the
bottom (that rides along the center rail) to the drawer bottom and front. The
track may be glued into a groove on the drawer front.

Further investigation is required.

$0.20, imo, ymmv, etc., etc, etc., ...

If the drawer sides will disassemble easily, then just reglue and go on.
That one on the LHS was miscut initially by tracking wrong side of the
line w/ the sawcut.

As another noted, if this is pretty old and you can tell, reuse hide
glue so don't do anything irreversible.