Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default All new gas appliances to be banned in UK.

On Thursday, 21 February 2019 10:42:08 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
No neither have I but the thing is this, if they are not going to let people
get onto gas, they will do just what you see in other countries. Use
cylinders of gas instead.

In theory, there is no real reason for the ban, as for the foreseeable
future they have to use Gas to generate power.
It will need a love affair with nuclear, and better power storage systems
to allow renewable to work well when there is a peak demand. All electrical
heating is second hand ie inefficient energy, we can only use it if we can
make making it far more efficient. There has been no real development of
electrical heating since the very early days of electricity. Itt still is
put current through a resistor and the device gives off heat. Its not
terribly efficient. I do not see the LED Equivelent of lights for heat
anywhere, after all.

I think its a bit soon to say we shall not use gas. As I say I took the
choice not to have gas, but I do not have any central heating installed
other than storage heaters, but they do have drawbacks of time issues. IE
they use cheaper electricity, but try to store the heat, but are not that
efficient, and often when it gets cold its when the heat store is getting
depleted before the next cheap rate time so one gets either an override
which is not really a good way to do it, or use those oil filled heaters,
which are better to take up the slack in the evenings.

No when I heard this last night I almost laughed myself silly.

Many power stations seem to be using something like wood chips instead of
coal at the moment. Where do these come from. Are we destroying Canadian and
Norwegian forests to make electricity?

It will be heat pumps.
Many new houses have them already