Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Bennet Andy Bennet is offline

Default All new gas appliances to be banned in UK.

On 21/02/2019 14:11, Andy Burns wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

There has been no real development of electrical heating* since the
very early days of electricity.

Nor can there be, they are already 100% efficient - 1Kw in = 1Kw of
heat out, ignoring transmission losses.

Heat pumps can give up to 4kW of heat out for 1kW of electricity in.

But cost in excess of £10k to install ...

We looked at installing an air source heatpump, would have cost £13k to
upgrade our existing wet system. With a breakeven time of 12 years
compared to an electric boiler fitted to the same existing wet system, I
figured the replacement cost of the electric boiler (£1k) versa the
replacement cost of the air source heat pumps (80C system) (£7k) over
the 12 year period the electric boiler was a no brainer. So far the
running cost of the electric boiler has exceeded my expectations
(cheaper to run). It has infact worked out cheaper to run than our old
solid fuel (anthracite) boiler over this winter so far ...