Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default All new gas appliances to be banned in UK.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message

harry wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...en-target.html

how absurd

And ban new houses being connected to mains gas before 2025

https://www.theccc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/UK-housing-Fit-for-the-future-CCC-2019.pdf

So new houses will have to be heated by electricity (storage heaters or heat
pumps) or else by oil. Until oil runs out. Then you really*will* be making
people put all their eggs in one basket, given that there are more and more
restrictions on wood and coal stoves as main or backup heating.

And you have to "sell" the idea that it will be more expensive to install,
and maybe to run, and (according to the article) will take longer to heat up
a room - presumably because it is lower power. That's a hell of an
advertising and PR campaign that you are going to need :-)

We are looking to move house and we went to look at a house the other week
that had been extensively modified by the builder who lived there. It had
some sort of underfloor heating that needed an air vent in the ceiling of
each room. My wife and I were very conscious of a continuous and intensely
irritating whine throughout the house from the air vents. Is that going to
be the future of central heating?

Having a house that is connected to a gas main is seen as a big selling
point for a house because it is cheaper to use gas than oil, and storage
heaters or bottled gas are even more expensive.

Ironic that 40 years ago "North Sea Gas" was touted as a universal saviour.