Speedy Jim

Default Washing machine drain backs up!

Horatio Hornblower wrote:

Went to Home Depot today and they had a laundry sink that JUST FIT in my
space. Another 1/4 inch, or even 1/8 inch and I wouldn't have gotten it
in there unless I moved the water heater, and it can only move 1/2 inch
- assuming I could move it at all, being filled with water and all.

Hooking the sink up to the drain is a problem and what I think I'm going
to do is scuttle the trap that I have. I could use it except that it's
put together with glue. I need to put an extension in it of around 4
inches so it will reach the sink. Can't do that cause it's glued, so
I'll have to buy another 2 inch trap.

I figure it's a lot of extra security. Someday, that thing was going to
back up again, maybe sooner than later. It's just a black box and I
don't know what shape it's in. Right now it works (the standpipe), but I
have no way of knowing if it's something I can depend on for 10-20 years
or just a month.

The laundry tub outlet will be 1 1/2" (tubular size) like a kitchen
sink.
Get rid of all the 2" stuff sigh.

Put the old galv elbow back on and buy a 1 1/2" plastic P-trap
intended for sinks (comes with compression slip nuts).
(Of course you'll need to extend things to get to the sink outlet.)

Jim