Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default What happened to the gas station air suppplies that a I liked.

On 2/19/2019 10:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/19/2019 05:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/19/2019 7:08 PM, micky wrote:
Whatever happened to the gas station air outlets where there was a red
box on a thick post with a crank on the side that let you set the air
pressure in big numbers, and it rang as the air went in and stopped
ringing when the tire was at the indicated pressure?

Do they still have these.Â* I couldnt' find one.

One or two of my tires needed air.Â*Â* Paid 1.50 last week at a fancy one
that took credit cards and beeped when the pressure one chooses is
reached. Nothing came out.Â* Convenience store gave me back my 1.50.Â*Â* 3
days later, device has "Out of Order" sign on it.Â*Â* Today no sign but a
guy just starting to vacuum his car.Â*Â* Went to another station, no
controls on the device, just a slot for 4 quarters and one of those
nozzles that tell the pressure on a brass rod that pops out of the valve
when you stop squeezing the lever.Â*Â* Cloudy day, won't be able to see
what it says, don't like having to stop over and over to see what the
pressure is, go to next station.Â* Same device.Â* 3 more stations, all
have the same device.

They've been gone for 40 years or so.Â* The nice thing stations did for
customers is now a money stream.Â* I have a little compressor if needed.

I know at least two gas stations with free air around here. I can't
remember if the third needs a quarter or not. 40 years ago most gas
stations were also garages and had large compressors for their own use.

I've got a Harbor Freight pancake compressor. So far I've only had to
rework it a little after the regulator blew out. With three bikes, a
car, and a pickup it comes in handy.

I have one too. Also we carry the small compressors that work off the
battery in our cars. HF unit is not that great as you cannot rely on
its pressure gauge. The only good use I had out of it was pumping up a
snow thrower tire that needed to be resealed on the rim and small units
did not supply enough air fast enough to seal it.