Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happened to the gas station air suppplies that a I liked.

Whatever happened to the gas station air outlets where there was a red
box on a thick post with a crank on the side that let you set the air
pressure in big numbers, and it rang as the air went in and stopped
ringing when the tire was at the indicated pressure?

Do they still have these. I couldnt' find one.

One or two of my tires needed air. Paid 1.50 last week at a fancy one
that took credit cards and beeped when the pressure one chooses is
reached. Nothing came out. Convenience store gave me back my 1.50. 3
days later, device has "Out of Order" sign on it. Today no sign but a
guy just starting to vacuum his car. Went to another station, no
controls on the device, just a slot for 4 quarters and one of those
nozzles that tell the pressure on a brass rod that pops out of the valve
when you stop squeezing the lever. Cloudy day, won't be able to see
what it says, don't like having to stop over and over to see what the
pressure is, go to next station. Same device. 3 more stations, all
have the same device.

Back to the first station, no one ahead of me Put in 1.50, set the dial
to 40. Do a little bit and the dial keeps going back to 32, the
default (doesn't beep when it does that). Set it to 40, still don't
hear air going into the tire, don't see tire firming up.

Finally go home and do it with a Black & Decker pump, that I got used.
Took 10 or 15 minutes but at least it worked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2019 7:08 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

They've been gone for 40 years or so. The nice thing stations did for
customers is now a money stream. I have a little compressor if needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 7:23:04 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

+1

I haven't seen one of those since the 70s either. Probably are some somewhere,
at some mom and pop gas station. I agree they were easier to use than the
crap things out there now. Many of the ones I've tried to use, the air
chuck is so old and worn out, the rubber sealing ring gone, that you can't
use it anyway. I have an AC compressor I use here, for the most part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Pull into any Discount tire center and they'll air 'em up
for free

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 19:08:54 -0500, micky
wrote:

[...]

You could never trust those things anyway. The only thing they had was
they were free, along with maps, the windshield cleaning, oil check
and a glass if you bought a fill up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Feb 2019 16:44:10 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

40 years! Time flies.

customers is now a money stream. I have a little compressor if needed.

+1

I haven't seen one of those since the 70s either. Probably are some somewhere,

There was a Hess gas station in north Baltimore that had free air, but a
couple years ago it closed and I was by there today and it's totally
boarded up. There were Hess stations in NY, NJ, maybe Pa. and I'm
surprised Md had one of the last ones. Chain was sold to Marathon and
apparently there are 3 Marathon stations but not where I go very often.

Oct. 2015 Hess gas stations are gone. But you can still buy the truck
https://money.cnn.com/2015/10/20/new...015/index.html

at some mom and pop gas station. I agree they were easier to use than the
crap things out there now. Many of the ones I've tried to use, the air
chuck is so old and worn out, the rubber sealing ring gone, that you can't
use it anyway. I have an AC compressor I use here, for the most part.

The fancy one that I tried first and last took credit cards, had a
digital control to go up or down, reverted to 32, and everything looked
pretty new, but I don't think I got any air out of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Feb 2019 19:18:48 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

They do things like that to get business, and since I know I'm not going
to give them any business, I wouldn't take advantage of their
willingness.

If they had an air hose I could use myself, that would be different.
Who knows, maybe eventually I would start buying tires there, and the
cost of electricty to pump up my tires is under a penny, I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2019 8:18 PM, ChairMan wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip. I just checked and it is only an 83 mile round trip
to the nearest one.
https://www.discounttire.com/store-locator
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Whatever happened to the gas station air outlets where there was a red
box on a thick post with a crank on the side that let you set the air
pressure in big numbers, and it rang as the air went in and stopped
ringing when the tire was at the indicated pressure?

Do they still have these. I couldnt' find one.

Those things are antiques now - guys pay big bucks for them for their
"man caves"

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2019 05:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I know at least two gas stations with free air around here. I can't
remember if the third needs a quarter or not. 40 years ago most gas
stations were also garages and had large compressors for their own use.

I've got a Harbor Freight pancake compressor. So far I've only had to
rework it a little after the regulator blew out. With three bikes, a
car, and a pickup it comes in handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Is there any good Que joints on the way? : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whatever happened to the gas station air outlets where there was a red
box on a thick post with a crank on the side that let you set the air
pressure in big numbers, and it rang as the air went in and stopped
ringing when the tire was at the indicated pressure?

Those things are antiques now - guys pay big bucks for them for their
"man caves"

" That's inflation for ya ! "

https://imgflip.com/i/2r1gyr

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

That's foolish thinking. I have no intentions of ever purchasing tires
from Discount Tires but needed air one day in my tire which had a slow
leak. I asked if they had a hose I could use to which their reply was to
pull in, we'll check them all at no cost even after I offered to pay. If
they offered for free, I'll take I'll take advantage of it. I purchase
my tires from Costco.

If they had an air hose I could use myself, that would be different.
Who knows, maybe eventually I would start buying tires there, and the
cost of electricty to pump up my tires is under a penny, I think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On the East Coast, the Sheetz chain has free air. I don't trust their gauges of course. I have a good quality one that clamps on the tire and makes a better connection.

And on occasion I'll use a bicycle pump. It takes longer but works fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Belle Tire also has free air but they have a pump outside the store for
anyone to pull up, set the air pressure and pump their tires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/19/2019 7:08 PM, micky wrote:
Whatever happened to the gas station air outlets where
there was a
red box on a thick post with a crank on the side that let
you set
the air pressure in big numbers, and it rang as the air
went in and
stopped ringing when the tire was at the indicated
pressure?

Do they still have these.Â* I couldnt' find one.

One or two of my tires needed air.Â*Â* Paid 1.50 last week
at a fancy
one that took credit cards and beeped when the pressure
one chooses
is reached. Nothing came out.Â* Convenience store gave me
back my
1.50.Â*Â* 3 days later, device has "Out of Order" sign on
it.Â*Â* Today
no sign but a guy just starting to vacuum his car.Â*Â* Went
to another
station, no controls on the device, just a slot for 4
quarters and
one of those nozzles that tell the pressure on a brass
rod that pops
out of the valve when you stop squeezing the lever.
Cloudy day,
won't be able to see what it says, don't like having to
stop over
and over to see what the pressure is, go to next station.
Same
device.Â* 3 more stations, all have the same device.

They've been gone for 40 years or so.Â* The nice thing
stations did for
customers is now a money stream.Â* I have a little
compressor if
needed.

Pull into any Discount tire center and they'll air 'em up
for free

Belle Tire also has free air but they have a pump outside the store for
anyone to pull up, set the air pressure and pump their tires.

Just discovered Belle Tire is only in three states. Indiana, Ohio and
Michigan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2019 10:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/19/2019 05:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/19/2019 7:08 PM, micky wrote:
Whatever happened to the gas station air outlets where there was a red
box on a thick post with a crank on the side that let you set the air
pressure in big numbers, and it rang as the air went in and stopped
ringing when the tire was at the indicated pressure?

Do they still have these.Â* I couldnt' find one.

One or two of my tires needed air.Â*Â* Paid 1.50 last week at a fancy one
that took credit cards and beeped when the pressure one chooses is
reached. Nothing came out.Â* Convenience store gave me back my 1.50.Â*Â* 3
days later, device has "Out of Order" sign on it.Â*Â* Today no sign but a
guy just starting to vacuum his car.Â*Â* Went to another station, no
controls on the device, just a slot for 4 quarters and one of those
nozzles that tell the pressure on a brass rod that pops out of the valve
when you stop squeezing the lever.Â*Â* Cloudy day, won't be able to see
what it says, don't like having to stop over and over to see what the
pressure is, go to next station.Â* Same device.Â* 3 more stations, all
have the same device.

They've been gone for 40 years or so.Â* The nice thing stations did for
customers is now a money stream.Â* I have a little compressor if needed.

I know at least two gas stations with free air around here. I can't
remember if the third needs a quarter or not. 40 years ago most gas
stations were also garages and had large compressors for their own use.

I've got a Harbor Freight pancake compressor. So far I've only had to
rework it a little after the regulator blew out. With three bikes, a
car, and a pickup it comes in handy.

I have one too. Also we carry the small compressors that work off the
battery in our cars. HF unit is not that great as you cannot rely on
its pressure gauge. The only good use I had out of it was pumping up a
snow thrower tire that needed to be resealed on the rim and small units
did not supply enough air fast enough to seal it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

The place I worked at had a filling station. They were not that accurate but
after being hit and run over and abused at every turn I would not be either.
The owner eventually replaced the station with an air line and Milton chuck
with gauge. That would survive more abuse but have to be replaced
periodically. A good quality air line with chuck was not cheap. He finally
gave up and just put a normal chuck on. Then the ingrates would ask to
borrow my gauge. After having three of them stolen by cheapskates I hid it
in my toolbox. If someone would ask to borrow it I would say it was broken
by the last guy that used it. If someone who drove in would ask to have
their pressures checked; no problem, free. That was before the days of
having door labels to tell you. If they did not know the pressure we either
looked in the owners manual (usually long gone) or we had a reference for
the oil change people we would look in. Also we would check the spare.

There was a redheaded girl who was the daughter of one of our loyal
customers. She had an outgoing personality and fun. She came in one day and
said she needed the tires checked. I said that was a good idea because she
needed the winter air replaced with summer air. She asked how much it would
cost. I stated nothing and I can do it now. She was delighted (and so was
I). I let her in on the joke before she left. The next time I saw the father
he asked if I had any summer air left and laughed.

The owner used to say "Some people only stop in for WPA" which meant water
**** and air.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also we would check the spare.

Good stuff - seldom done by the average driver
me included
I've had my present car Kia 3 years and have had about
5 flat tires ! both summer tires and snows.
My previous 4 or 5 cars would span over 20 years
with maybe 4 or 5 flat tires ... dunno. I haven't moved or
changed my driving very much ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Also we would check the spare.

Good stuff - seldom done by the average driver
me included

It's a pain with my current car. The spare is bolted in to the
wheel well with the valve underneath, against the body of
the car so you basically have to take the tire out to check it.
And the jack and tools are in what is the inside of the spare
when its on the wheel too, so you have to take them out too.

I've had my present car Kia 3 years and have had about
5 flat tires ! both summer tires and snows.
My previous 4 or 5 cars would span over 20 years
with maybe 4 or 5 flat tires ... dunno. I haven't moved or
changed my driving very much ..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 11:10:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

It's a pain with my current car.

YOU are a pain in the arse, you obnoxious senile Ozzie troll!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote: "The fancy one that I tried first and last took credit cards, had a"

Seriously - a CREDIT CARD SLOT - for a tire air pump?!

This 21st century SUCKS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
micky wrote:

The fancy one that I tried first and last took credit cards, had a

Seriously - a CREDIT CARD SLOT - for a tire air pump?!

This 21st century SUCKS.

Not if you dont bother with coins anymore.

And you dont swipe the card in the slot anymore,
you wave it at the machine, dinosaur.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rod Speed:

My point was, tire air should be FREE, let alone require
a credit card to turn on the machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2019 9:06 PM, wrote:
Rod Speed:

My point was, tire air should be FREE, let alone require
a credit card to turn on the machine.

Used to be, if you needed a phone number you just dialed "information"
and they gave it to you for free too. Many other things like that too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Rod Speed:

My point was, tire air should be FREE, let alone
require a credit card to turn on the machine.

OK, ours, Australia, are in fact all free. Not sure if
that is a legal requirement or what. Google is no
help on that so likely it isnt a legal requirement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 12:29:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Seriously - a CREDIT CARD SLOT - for a tire air pump?!

This 21st century SUCKS.

Not if you donąt bother with coins anymore.

And you donąt swipe the card in the slot anymore,
you wave it at the machine, dinosaur.

Not many people are mindless consuming sheep like you whose only joy in
their senile lives are the electronical gadgets they surround themselves
with, senile Rot! Talked much to your Amazon machine today already, you
forsaken senile Ozzie troll? BG

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 15:00:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

wrote

Rod Speed:

My point was, tire air should be FREE, let alone
require a credit card to turn on the machine.

OK, ours, Australia, are in fact all free. Not sure if
that is a legal requirement or what. Google is no
help on that so likely it isnt a legal requirement.

Darn, now people have to vindicate themselves to senile Rot for what they
posted! LMAO

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
On the East Coast, the Sheetz chain has free air. I don't trust their
gauges of course. I have a good quality one that clamps on the tire and
makes a better connection.

And on occasion I'll use a bicycle pump. It takes longer but works fine.

I got Sheetz and another free air chain. Sheets work if the hose is OK. The
other has some really awful machines that can't make up their mind and
slow.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rod Speed wrote: "OK, ours, Australia, are in fact all free. Not sure if"

Legal requirement - for tire air to be free?
Not sure about that, but just for a second Rod:

Take a breath... Notice that air is all around us.

It SHOULD be free - in our lungs and in our tires!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 8:29:35 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
micky wrote:

The fancy one that I tried first and last took credit cards, had a

Seriously - a CREDIT CARD SLOT - for a tire air pump?!

This 21st century SUCKS.

Not if you dont bother with coins anymore.

And you dont swipe the card in the slot anymore,
you wave it at the machine, dinosaur.

The U.S. banking system is the dinosaur. The standard credit card
comes with a chip that must be inserted into the reader, and a
magnetic strip for readers than aren't equipped to use the chip.

No pin. Credit card companies recently decided a signature is
not required, but most merchants still require a signature.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 6:23:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Rod Speed wrote: "OK, ours, Australia, are in fact all free. Not sure if"

Legal requirement - for tire air to be free?
Not sure about that, but just for a second Rod:

Take a breath... Notice that air is all around us.

It SHOULD be free - in our lungs and in our tires!

I disagree. Installation and maintenance of the equipment for filling
tires costs money.

Of course, the gas station could offer free air as a marketing ploy.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bod wrote: " Ever thought that it costs the garage to supply the pump and pay for
the electricity for it to work?

--

Bod"

Then explain why air for tires at stations was free going
back to almost the second world war. What do you think
changed during the last 15 years?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/2019 07:11 AM, wrote:
My guess would be that margins at gas stations have gotten
very slim. They make most of their money on the crap they
sell in the convenience store. It's a way to make a little
money from people who don't buy the Big Gulp.

https://www.yellowpages.com/butte-mt...-lounge-casino

Townpump and Lil's sell gas on the side as sort of a public service.
There is one full service station in town that actually has the ability
to do repairs on a vehicle. Their prices are at least 10 cents a gallon
higher than anyplace else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen:

I used that m-app you linked to. I think the difference
is that I live in CT - where everyone is assumed born
rich! I'm glad to see it's more likely a CT/New England/
other affluent area matter than nationwide abandonment
of free air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman:

In my city in CT it seems they are trying to zone
out garages that actually work on cars, and allow
only gas station/convenience ops. So yeah I *could*
see why they might charge for air - less overhead
than gas and garage operations.