Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What happened to the gas station air suppplies that a I liked.

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Feb 2019 16:44:10 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 7:23:04 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/19/2019 7:08 PM, micky wrote:
Whatever happened to the gas station air outlets where there was a red
box on a thick post with a crank on the side that let you set the air
pressure in big numbers, and it rang as the air went in and stopped
ringing when the tire was at the indicated pressure?

Do they still have these. I couldnt' find one.

One or two of my tires needed air. Paid 1.50 last week at a fancy one
that took credit cards and beeped when the pressure one chooses is
reached. Nothing came out. Convenience store gave me back my 1.50. 3
days later, device has "Out of Order" sign on it. Today no sign but a
guy just starting to vacuum his car. Went to another station, no
controls on the device, just a slot for 4 quarters and one of those
nozzles that tell the pressure on a brass rod that pops out of the valve
when you stop squeezing the lever. Cloudy day, won't be able to see
what it says, don't like having to stop over and over to see what the
pressure is, go to next station. Same device. 3 more stations, all
have the same device.

They've been gone for 40 years or so. The nice thing stations did for

40 years! Time flies.

customers is now a money stream. I have a little compressor if needed.

+1

I haven't seen one of those since the 70s either. Probably are some somewhere,

There was a Hess gas station in north Baltimore that had free air, but a
couple years ago it closed and I was by there today and it's totally
boarded up. There were Hess stations in NY, NJ, maybe Pa. and I'm
surprised Md had one of the last ones. Chain was sold to Marathon and
apparently there are 3 Marathon stations but not where I go very often.

Oct. 2015 Hess gas stations are gone. But you can still buy the truck
https://money.cnn.com/2015/10/20/new...015/index.html

at some mom and pop gas station. I agree they were easier to use than the
crap things out there now. Many of the ones I've tried to use, the air
chuck is so old and worn out, the rubber sealing ring gone, that you can't
use it anyway. I have an AC compressor I use here, for the most part.

The fancy one that I tried first and last took credit cards, had a
digital control to go up or down, reverted to 32, and everything looked
pretty new, but I don't think I got any air out of it.