Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 01:13:08 +0000, Commander Kinsey wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 22:17:01 -0000, Tekkie® wrote:

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 00:15:18 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:46:25 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 19:08:44 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/18/2019 08:38 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
They shouldn't call them self tapping because they rarely do
unless the wood is very soft indeed. Usually the force to create
the hole wears off the er.... the bit the screwdriver goes into.
I almost always use a pilot drill first, unless I'm in a hurry,
then I curse the bloody screws when they burr.

Using the correct size of a quality screwdriver helps. What is the
UK equivalent of Harbor Freight?
"Self drilling" is the term, and if they aren't Chinese junk they
are
usually good for 16 guage steel - perhaps 14. Useless foir anything
heavier. Chiners junk is good for about 18 guage aluminum on a good
day.

Actually there are at least four types of screw that cut their own
thread.
You have the self drilling that is a sheet metal screw with a drill
bit tip on the end that actually drills the pilot hole (Commonly
called Tek screws)
Then there is the self tapping sheet metal screw that just has a
point on the end and gnaws it's way in The third is a "swage form"
machine screw that goes into a pilot hole and the tip is threaded all
the way to the end with a slight taper and a triangular shape until
it gets to the body of the thread. It actually swages threads The 4th
is a self tapping machine screw that has a tapered thread and slits
cut in it to take away the waste material just like a tap.
I have some of each type if anyone wants pictures.
From the complaint I had pretty much ruled out the common sheet
metal screw with the sharp split tip and the swage form - basically
narrowing it down to the "tek" - but then he complained about it only
working if the "wood" was soft - - - -

I really think he needs to limit himself to socket head (allen) or
hex head screws - and eventhen he needs to use the correct size
driver.

Do not forget the JIS ones.

Isn't that just a pozidrive?

No.