Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Self-aligning screw thread?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:06:53 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 19:24:56 -0000, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:30:45 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:21:23 -0000, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 15:36:39 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 01:17:22 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:03:48 -0500, wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which
always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on
straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it
jump
into place.

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

BTW, we teach our children the "turn it backwards" maneuver.

In the ordinance business we had to unteach that trick for guys
installing long time delay bomb fuses.

Explain.

Long time delay fuses (minutes to hours) have an anti tamper device
that causes the bomb to go off immediately if you try to unscrew it.

Also explain why we call our UK maps "ordinance survey".

Probably because they were originally derived from artillery range
maps or drawn by the people who made that kind of map.

I thought perhaps I was confusing two words, but I wasn't. You were :-)

Ordinance = a law
Ordnance = explosives
My spell check only seems to like the first one. Sorry for the
confusion. I didn't catch it

American spelling probably differs.

No, in this case it does not.

Ah, so you admit you ****ed up :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:06:12 -0000, rbowman wrote:

Losers must be deleted or the world will never advance. It's called
evolution.

In the current climate losers are coddled. It's called devolution.

When we run low on resources, we'll have to let them die off. I actually received an email the other day asking me to sign some bull**** petition because some prisoners in New York were "forced to endure freezing temperatures" when the heating broke. Er... fully clothed, indoors, away from rain and wind. That's not cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:04:35 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:49:02 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:35:32 -0000, DerbyBorn
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in
news
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/abo...w/history.html

My wife once worked in Waterstones - she often dealt with people
wanting
Ordnance Survey Maps for various foreign holiday destinations!

Sounds fine to me. Do they do foreign countries? I wouldn't know,
and why
would the customers?

Only the ones we've invaded.

All countries should be invaded. That's why it's called "race".

If there's one thing the British Isles knows about it's being invaded.

We used to invade everyone else quite successfully, then we became politically correct....
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 01:13:08 +0000, Commander Kinsey wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 22:17:01 -0000, Tekkie® wrote:

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 00:15:18 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:46:25 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 19:08:44 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/18/2019 08:38 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
They shouldn't call them self tapping because they rarely do
unless the wood is very soft indeed. Usually the force to create
the hole wears off the er.... the bit the screwdriver goes into.
I almost always use a pilot drill first, unless I'm in a hurry,
then I curse the bloody screws when they burr.

Using the correct size of a quality screwdriver helps. What is the
UK equivalent of Harbor Freight?
"Self drilling" is the term, and if they aren't Chinese junk they
are
usually good for 16 guage steel - perhaps 14. Useless foir anything
heavier. Chiners junk is good for about 18 guage aluminum on a good
day.

Actually there are at least four types of screw that cut their own
thread.
You have the self drilling that is a sheet metal screw with a drill
bit tip on the end that actually drills the pilot hole (Commonly
called Tek screws)
Then there is the self tapping sheet metal screw that just has a
point on the end and gnaws it's way in The third is a "swage form"
machine screw that goes into a pilot hole and the tip is threaded all
the way to the end with a slight taper and a triangular shape until
it gets to the body of the thread. It actually swages threads The 4th
is a self tapping machine screw that has a tapered thread and slits
cut in it to take away the waste material just like a tap.
I have some of each type if anyone wants pictures.
From the complaint I had pretty much ruled out the common sheet
metal screw with the sharp split tip and the swage form - basically
narrowing it down to the "tek" - but then he complained about it only
working if the "wood" was soft - - - -

I really think he needs to limit himself to socket head (allen) or
hex head screws - and eventhen he needs to use the correct size
driver.

Do not forget the JIS ones.

Isn't that just a pozidrive?

No.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:01:27 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/18/2019 10:08 AM, BillD wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 01:17:22 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:03:48 -0500, wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which
always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on
straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it jump
into place.

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

BTW, we teach our children the "turn it backwards" maneuver.

In the ordinance business we had to unteach that trick for guys
installing long time delay bomb fuses.

Explain.

Also explain why we call our UK maps "ordinance survey".

Ordinance is stuff like artillery and so the maps were for them originally

Ordinance is not ordnance, ffs.

Weren't you the one that confused the two to begin with?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 01:59:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/18/2019 08:36 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 01:17:22 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:03:48 -0500, wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which
always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on
straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it jump
into place.

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

BTW, we teach our children the "turn it backwards" maneuver.

In the ordinance business we had to unteach that trick for guys
installing long time delay bomb fuses.

Explain.

Also explain why we call our UK maps "ordinance survey".

Actually you don't; you call them 'Ordnance Survey'. The term goes back
to the Jacobite uprising. Britain wanted an accurate map of Scotland so
they could nuke the daft ****s.

I wish they had. Ever tried to converse with a Glaswegian?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

From the complaint I had pretty much ruled out the common sheet
metal screw with the sharp split tip and the swage form - basically
narrowing it down to the "tek" - but then he complained about it only
working if the "wood" was soft - - - -

I really think he needs to limit himself to socket head (allen) or
hex head screws - and eventhen he needs to use the correct size
driver.

Do not forget the JIS ones.

Isn't that just a pozidrive?

No.

When I looked it up, all I got was "a Phillips that doesn't cam out", that's a pozidrive.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2019 22:23:38, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 19/02/2019 21:52:41, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 19/02/2019 20:21:02, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:02:54 -0000, Clare Snyder

wrote:

[...]

* From the complaint I had pretty much ruled out the common sheet
metal screw with the sharp split tip and the swage form - basically
narrowing it down to the "tek" - but then he complained about it
only
working if the "wood" was soft - - - -

*I really think he needs to limit himself to socket head (allen) or
hex head screws - and eventhen he needs to use the correct size
driver.

PZ2 is easier to use.* I'm just saying they shouldn't be sold as
"self tapping" if they really need a pilot hole.

They are called self tappers because they tap the hole.

They arent called self drillers, stupid.

Perhaps Australia is behind the times:
*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-t...drilling_screw

Just you being a ****wit, as always. That's just ONE TYPE of self
tapper, ****wit.

Its one kind of self tapper called a self driller.

But is just one type of self tapper, ****wit. Most self tappers arent
self drillers.

https://www.firstcallautosupply.com/...apping-screws/

Or is it just you being stupid?

Nope, you being a ****wit, as always.

You're too thick to see you're stupid.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Finally, an admission you are wrong. That took you a long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

you are a paper bag

Are you calling yourself a paper bag? What next?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 02/19/2019 08:59 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:08:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/18/2019 08:38 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
They shouldn't call them self tapping because they rarely do unless the
wood is very soft indeed. Usually the force to create the hole wears
off the er.... the bit the screwdriver goes into. I almost always use a
pilot drill first, unless I'm in a hurry, then I curse the bloody screws
when they burr.

Using the correct size of a quality screwdriver helps. What is the UK
equivalent of Harbor Freight?

I always use PZ2 screws with a PZ2 bit on an cordless drill. Not only
is a power drill easier and faster than a manual screwdriver, but you
can concentrate on holding it straight and providing enough force to
keep the bit in the screw head, while the motor does the rotation. I'm
talking about these sort of woodscrews (note this SORT, not these
particular ones, this was the first link I found):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322667640506

All bits are not equal. In the US Harbor Freight is the byword for cheap
Chinese ****. Some of their offerings aren't too bad. Caveat emptor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

No, but I'll admit the OP did.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:06:12 -0000, rbowman wrote:

Losers must be deleted or the world will never advance. It's called
evolution.

In the current climate losers are coddled. It's called devolution.

When we run low on resources, we'll have to let them die off. I
actually received an email the other day asking me to sign some bull****
petition because some prisoners in New York were "forced to endure
freezing temperatures" when the heating broke. Er... fully clothed,
indoors, away from rain and wind. That's not cold.

That is the usual solution in population dynamics. Animals reproduce
until they exceed the carrying capacity of the environment then the less
fit die off. One would think humans are intelligent to cull the herd
before disaster strikes but that never seems to be the case.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in
news
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/abo...w/history.html

My wife once worked in Waterstones - she often dealt with people
wanting
Ordnance Survey Maps for various foreign holiday destinations!

Sounds fine to me. Do they do foreign countries? I wouldn't know,
and why
would the customers?

Only the ones we've invaded.

All countries should be invaded. That's why it's called "race".

If there's one thing the British Isles knows about it's being invaded.

We used to invade everyone else quite successfully, then we became
politically correct....

It stands to reason than an island that was invaded by the Romans,
Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, Norwegians, and Normans, would eventually
go invade someplace else after the breed was improved.

It was all over when your royals changed their name from Sachsen-Coburg
und Gotha to Windsor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 01:17:22 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:03:48 -0500, wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which
always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on
straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it
jump
into place.

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

BTW, we teach our children the "turn it backwards" maneuver.

In the ordinance business we had to unteach that trick for guys
installing long time delay bomb fuses.

Explain.

Also explain why we call our UK maps "ordinance survey".

Ordinance is stuff like artillery and so the maps were for them
originally

Ordinance is not ordnance, ffs.

Weren't you the one that confused the two to begin with?

**** no. Try to keep up.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

[...]

No, but I did try to watch 'Trainspotting' without the subtitles before
giving up. I am quite happy that Jonny Lee Miller in his Sherlock Holmes
role in 'Elementary' speaks English. I understand it took him a lot of
practice to mimic an incomprehensible Scot.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"rbowman" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:06:12 -0000, rbowman wrote:

Losers must be deleted or the world will never advance. It's called
evolution.

In the current climate losers are coddled. It's called devolution.

When we run low on resources, we'll have to let them die off. I
actually received an email the other day asking me to sign some bull****
petition because some prisoners in New York were "forced to endure
freezing temperatures" when the heating broke. Er... fully clothed,
indoors, away from rain and wind. That's not cold.

That is the usual solution in population dynamics.

Not with humans.

Animals reproduce until they exceed the carrying capacity of the
environment then the less fit die off.

Not always, quite a bit of the time they migrate.

One would think humans are intelligent to cull the herd before disaster
strikes but that never seems to be the case.

Because we never get into the situation where the humans die
off anymore. The only time we see much of that anymore is when
the entire area has degenerated into the most obscene levels of
civil war and civil chaos, not because the resources run out.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Didn't happen with plenty of civilisations.

It was all over when your royals changed their name from Sachsen-Coburg
und Gotha to Windsor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 20:38:14 -0700, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

Weren't you the one that confused the two to begin with?

**** no. Try to keep up.

****. Does his unwashed cock taste THAT good to you, you disgusting
toothless senile cocksucker?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 20:23:51 -0700, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

That is the usual solution in population dynamics. Animals reproduce
until they exceed the carrying capacity of the environment then the less
fit die off. One would think humans are intelligent to cull the herd
before disaster strikes but that never seems to be the case.

Humans just become cocksuckers like you, you senile gossiping whore!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 16:53:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Not

In auto-contradicting mode again, you abnormal senile Ozzie cretin? LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 20:37:42 -0700, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

It stands to reason than an island that was invaded by the Romans,
Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, Norwegians, and Normans, would eventually
go invade someplace else after the breed was improved.

It was all over when your royals changed their name from Sachsen-Coburg
und Gotha to Windsor.

You will NEVER be able to wean your toothless driveling senile gob away from
the unwashed Scottish ******'s cock, eh, senile lowbrowman? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 16:55:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Didn't happen with plenty of civilisations.

ROTFLOL In auto-contradicting mode again, you ridiculous senile oaf?

Gosh ...what a bunch of senile assholes infesting these groups! LOL

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 20:20:07 -0700, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

Ah, so you admit you ****ed up :-)

No, but I'll admit the OP did.

How so? He gets YOU to suck HIM off time and again, lowbrowman! Think about
it, senile ****head! tsk
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 20:42:40 -0700, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

No, but I did try to watch 'Trainspotting' without the subtitles before
giving up. I am quite happy that Jonny Lee Miller in his Sherlock Holmes
role in 'Elementary' speaks English. I understand it took him a lot of
practice to mimic an incomprehensible Scot.

Nobody in your old people's home talking to you again, poor senile sod? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 13:50:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

And I say: you KEEP bull****ting your way into your grave, you abnormal
85-year-old senile troll!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 20:17:00 -0700, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

All bits are not equal. In the US Harbor Freight is the byword for cheap
Chinese ****. Some of their offerings aren't too bad. Caveat emptor.

You obviously LOVE cheap ****, lowbrowman ...especially cheap troll****! In
fact, you seem to be totally addicted to it, you useless, toothless
Yankietard.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote:
Ordinance is stuff like artillery and so the maps were for them
originally

Ordinance is not ordnance, ffs.

Weren't you the one that confused the two to begin with?

**** no. Try to keep up.

Ordinance is not stuff like artillery. Ordnance is.

Ordinance is a legal term for a special sort of tax.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2019 03:23, rbowman wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:06:12 -0000, rbowman wrote:

Losers must be deleted or the world will never advance.* It's called
evolution.

In the current climate losers are coddled. It's called devolution.

When we run low on resources, we'll have to let them die off.* I
actually received an email the other day asking me to sign some bull****
petition because some prisoners in New York were "forced to endure
freezing temperatures" when the heating broke.* Er... fully clothed,
indoors, away from rain and wind.* That's not cold.

That is the usual solution in population dynamics. Animals reproduce
until they exceed the carrying capacity of the environment then the less
fit die off. One would think humans are intelligent to cull the herd
before disaster strikes but that never seems to be the case.

Ah, well its obvious that any moral or legal right to kill your own
species is PROBABLY more dangerous to it than it simply dying of disease
or starvation.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You forgot the celts and the beaker people.
And the ice.

It was all over when your royals changed their name from Sachsen-Coburg
und Gotha to Windsor.

Probably. Who cares?

Josef Stalin

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2019 03:42, rbowman wrote:
I wish they had.* Ever tried to converse with a Glaswegian?

No, but I did try to watch 'Trainspotting' without the subtitles before
giving up. I am quite happy that Jonny Lee Miller in his Sherlock Holmes
role in 'Elementary' speaks English. I understand it took him a lot of
practice to mimic an incomprehensible Scot.

Glaswegian is almost Gaelic.

But then we have the same problem woth people from tennessee.

Josef Stalin

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 20/02/2019 03:42, rbowman wrote:
I wish they had. Ever tried to converse with a Glaswegian?

No, but I did try to watch 'Trainspotting' without the subtitles before
giving up. I am quite happy that Jonny Lee Miller in his Sherlock
Holmes role in 'Elementary' speaks English. I understand it took him a
lot of practice to mimic an incomprehensible Scot.

Glaswegian is almost Gaelic.

arr - no - nothing like

-

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 20/02/2019 03:42, rbowman wrote:
I wish they had. Ever tried to converse with a Glaswegian?

No, but I did try to watch 'Trainspotting' without the subtitles before
giving up. I am quite happy that Jonny Lee Miller in his Sherlock
Holmes role in 'Elementary' speaks English. I understand it took him a
lot of practice to mimic an incomprehensible Scot.

Glaswegian is almost Gaelic.

arr - no - nothing like

Apologies. It's scandinavian, more.

I was trying to work out what langaue it was based on..

-

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

Confucius

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:19:29 -0000, Meanie wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 23:03:48 -0000, wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which
always aligns perfectly?* Even a simple bottle top never goes on
straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it jump
into place.

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

What I'm looking for is an inventor to bring us into this century.* I'm
really not impressed with the devices we use today.

Good thing nobody gives a **** what you think. You don't like something,
make it better, collect the money and STFU!

There are billions of people in the world, a lot of which are brilliant
inventors, they're the ones that should be doing it.

...and we've established you are brilliant nor that bright since you are
completely incapable of aligning a screw properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 02/20/2019 02:55 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Outright killing is dangerous; keeping populations fed and housed that
have been abusing the system for generations is insane.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

And Doggerland... It's been a downhill slide since the Maglemosian
culture was invaded by those Corded Ware farmers from the east.

It was all over when your royals changed their name from
Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha to Windsor.

Probably. Who cares?

Not I. I am more concerned with cultural suicide closer to home.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 20/02/2019 03:42, rbowman wrote:
I wish they had. Ever tried to converse with a Glaswegian?

No, but I did try to watch 'Trainspotting' without the subtitles before
giving up. I am quite happy that Jonny Lee Miller in his Sherlock
Holmes role in 'Elementary' speaks English. I understand it took him a
lot of practice to mimic an incomprehensible Scot.

Glaswegian is almost Gaelic.

arr - no - nothing like

Apologies. It's scandinavian, more.

I was trying to work out what langaue it was based on..

Perhaps it was a Danish influence. Danish has been referred to as a
throat disease, generally by Swedes.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 2/20/2019 8:43 AM, Meanie wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:19:29 -0000, Meanie wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 23:03:48 -0000, wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which
always aligns perfectly?* Even a simple bottle top never goes on
straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it jump
into place.

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

What I'm looking for is an inventor to bring us into this century.* I'm
really not impressed with the devices we use today.

Good thing nobody gives a **** what you think. You don't like something,
make it better, collect the money and STFU!

There are billions of people in the world, a lot of which are
brilliant inventors, they're the ones that should be doing it.

..and we've established you are brilliant nor that bright since you are
completely incapable of aligning a screw properly.

Correction: "aren't" brilliant.....