Posted to alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Self-aligning screw thread?

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:22:22 -0000, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 15:35:57 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 01:15:34 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 22:38:31 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it jump into place.

The closest thing I have seen to that is a screw with a fairly long
section of un threaded lead the same size as the I/D of the hole. It
allows you to get the screw started and parallel before the threads
engage.

That sounds very useful, why aren't they all made like that?

Depth of the hole or not wanting extra screw length on the back side?

Yes, not everyone wants to be screwed on the backside :-)