Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Self-aligning screw thread?

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 01:15:34 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 22:38:31 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it jump into place.

The closest thing I have seen to that is a screw with a fairly long
section of un threaded lead the same size as the I/D of the hole. It
allows you to get the screw started and parallel before the threads
engage.

That sounds very useful, why aren't they all made like that?