Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default size SWA to garage 30m away

On 17/02/2019 21:34, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 17/02/2019 14:59, ARW wrote:

As for upgrading your cut out to 100A. If you have to do this then so
would most the people on your street. The infra stucture of the grid
cannot not cope with this.

I have 63A out here (the SWA cable predates the building!) but even if I
wanted I couldn't go all the way to 100A. That's the house main fuse limit.

Andy

When I moved in (1993) I re-wired and also replaced the CU. The next
time the meter reader came, he noted the new CU and told me that they'd
send someone to upgrade the main fuse from 63A to 100A.

On the day they came, they took the fuse out, smashed the cast-iron box
to pieces, while wearing thick rubber gloves, replaced the box with a
modern moulded one, connected up, filled the cable entry with what
looked like an epoxy resin, put the new fuse in and departed.

SteveW