Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default size SWA to garage 30m away

I am putting in SWA cable to the garage, total length max 30 metres,
load just a few sockets for low powered tools, and lights, connected to 32A RCBO in the house CU. Should I use 4mm or 6mm SWA ?

Cheers,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2019 14:43, sm_jamieson wrote:
I am putting in SWA cable to the garage, total length max 30 metres,
load just a few sockets for low powered tools, and lights, connected to 32A RCBO in the house CU. Should I use 4mm or 6mm SWA ?

It's a garage.

One day you may want to charge an electric car...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2019 14:43, sm_jamieson wrote:

I am putting in SWA cable to the garage, total length max 30 metres,
load just a few sockets for low powered tools, and lights, connected to 32A RCBO in the house CU. Should I use 4mm or 6mm SWA ?

So are we assuming the design load is 32A?

Current capacity for either are fine (the current carrying capacity
"clipped direct" for PVC clad [1] SWA would be 38A/49A (4mm^2/6mm^2))

So we can check voltage drop. Since you have lighting, that ought to be
a 3% or 6.9V. At 11mV/A/m 32A load would give ~ 10.5V, so 4mm^2 cable
will not meet the spec.

Going to 6mm^2, that would be 7.3mV/A/m or ~7V

So you could easily argue that 6mm^2 will get you close enough -
especially as it does not sound like the circuit will likely have
anything near that load on it normally. (you could also argue that the
effects of small voltage drops with modern low energy lighting are
overstated anyway).

You have not said what the earthing system is at the head end, but we
can make a crude disconnection time check: If you are using 2 core 6mm^2
SWA, the core resistance will be about 3 mOhms/m, and the armour
7mOhms/m for a total of about 10 mOhms/m round trip. That gives us 0.3
Ohms. If it were a TN-S head end you could add on 0.8 for Ze, so 1.1 Ohm
total. Low enough to meet then 1.37 Ohms min for a B32 MCB [3].

Prospective fault current = 230/1.1 = 253A, enough to be in the magnetic
part of the trip response.

Adiabatic check, sqrt( 253^2 x 0.1 ) / 115 [4] = 0.7mm^2 minimum CSA
wire required. The copper equivalent 7mm^2 of armour being 3mm^2 if we
use the 2.255 conversion factor. So plenty good enough.

[1] Much SWA will be the 90 deg C XLPE style sheathed stuff anyway,
which has higher limits)

[2]
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...our_as_a_C PC

[3]
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...g_Voltage_Drop

[4] Appropriate k factor for a PVC cable - but low for a XLPE one - see
[1] above.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 3:40:34 AM UTC, FMurtz wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I am putting in SWA cable to the garage, total length max 30 metres,
load just a few sockets for low powered tools, and lights, connected to 32A RCBO in the house CU. Should I use 4mm or 6mm SWA ?

Cheers,
Simon.

6 or 10 for me

I suspected 4mm would be iffy. Load will be lowish (def. no electric cars !)
Thanks for John's calcs.
I will use 6mm.
Most of my neighbours have a string of 2.5mm nailed to the fence.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

sm_jamieson wrote:
I am putting in SWA cable to the garage, total length max 30 metres,
load just a few sockets for low powered tools, and lights, connected to 32A RCBO in the house CU. Should I use 4mm or 6mm SWA ?

Cheers,
Simon.

6 or 10 for me

I suspected 4mm would be iffy. Load will be lowish (def. no electric cars !)
Thanks for John's calcs.
I will use 6mm.
Most of my neighbours have a string of 2.5mm nailed to the fence.

6mm minimum.

No electric cars ATM:-) What would be the extra cost to put 10mm cable in?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 February 2019 11:58:13 UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
Most of my neighbours have a string of 2.5mm nailed to the fence.

That's probably okay in winter.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well last July I bought 20 m of 10mm2 three phase SWA cable for 70 quid from denmans so I would expect 30 m of 10mm2 to be around 105 quid....

My SWA cable is awaiting connection at both ends with suitable coloured sleeving to mark it has single phase, neutral and earth.

one is at the garage end and the other is for the wood shed and greenhouse
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I did the voltage drop calculations on 20m SWA assuming a max load of 32A, I found that the voltage drop exceeded 2% for 6mm2 so that was why I ended up with 10mm2 SWA in a trench across the lawn along with 25mm MDPE pipe.

For now it's for a wood shed and a greenhouse and garden lighting and garden sockets.

There is also now spare capacity for a hot tub on the patio at the bottom of the garden if SWMBO or the rugrat so desires!

Also we may one day convert house integral garage to living accommodation so we would build a replacement garage at bottom of the garden and as water and power is already there... I currently appreciate the hot water I have on tap on the garage sink!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/02/2019 21:39, John Rumm wrote:

Going to 6mm^2, that would be 7.3mV/A/m or ~7V

So you could easily argue that 6mm^2 will get you close enough -
especially as it does not sound like the circuit will likely have
anything near that load on it normally. (you could also argue that the
effects of small voltage drops with modern low energy lighting are
overstated anyway).

This is where the tightening up of lighting circuits to a 3% voltage
drop in the regs may need to change.

The 3% voltage drop for lighting became a reg before the use of LED
lighting became mainstream.

The use of a deviation from the regs is a useful tool. If the OP fits
LED lighting that works from 80 to 250V (most of it does) then you can
ignore the 3% voltage drop and calculate for a 5% drop.

There are other reasons not to design the circuit to the absolute
minimum allowed.

The three most obvious ones are

1. Most of the cost is actually the labour to fit the supply cable. You
only have to do the job once.

2. If running at near max allowed current for long periods you get
wasted power in the cable.

3. Future expansion of the system (if 2 does not apply)

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Point 3 is very important for garages used to park daily cars in.

Eventually
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need charging overnight....

I have been informed that my 80a cutout is only sufficient for charging 1 vehicle. If I want to charge two vehicles overnight, I have to have the cutout upgraded to 100a and possibly the service Cable to the cutout.....

So a detached garage having a 3 core 25mm2 SWA cable does not now seem excessive to put in while the trench is still open instead of that 6mm2 or 10mm2 SWA cable.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing
daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need
charging overnight....

Dont believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead first.

I have been informed that my 80a cutout is only sufficient for charging
1 vehicle. If I want to charge two vehicles overnight, I have to have the
cutout upgraded to 100a and possibly the service Cable to the cutout.....

So a detached garage having a 3 core 25mm2 SWA cable
does not now seem excessive to put in while the trench is
still open instead of that 6mm2 or 10mm2 SWA cable.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/02/2019 16:54, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote

Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for
storing daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need
charging overnight....

Dont believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead first.

Care to lead by example and show us how it is done?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 17/02/2019 16:54, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote

Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing
daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need
charging overnight....

Dont believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead
first.

Care to lead by example and show us how it is done?

Yep, bullet in the back of the neck for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 03:54:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need
charging overnight....

Don¢t believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead first.

Not with most, but with you certainly, you 85-year-old senile Ozzie cretin!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 04:49:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Don¢t believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead
first.

Care to lead by example and show us how it is done?

Yep, bullet in the back of the neck for you.

OTOH, the moment your idiotic trolls no longer appear, we all know that
you've finally croaked, senile cretin! BG

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2019 14:59, ARW wrote:

As for upgrading your cut out to 100A. If you have to do this then so
would most the people on your street. The infra stucture of the grid
cannot not cope with this.

I have 63A out here (the SWA cable predates the building!) but even if I
wanted I couldn't go all the way to 100A. That's the house main fuse limit.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Regarding your point about the infrastructure being unable to cope....

I reckon that electric car owners will sign up to economy 7 electric which means their cars will be charged between midnight and seven am where the majority of people will be in bed.

The infrastructure is clearly able to cope with peak load during the morning get up, shower and have beakfast run and again for when people get home, shower cook and watch tav, surf internet and then go to bed.

So instead of two peak time periods every day we could see three peak periods every day.

When you consider all the kettles, electric showers, toasters, electric cookers etc during day time Vs battery Chargers during the night....

Having said that, houses with night storage heating systema may struggle to charge cars without having a 250 amp cutout supply!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2019 21:34, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 17/02/2019 14:59, ARW wrote:

As for upgrading your cut out to 100A. If you have to do this then so
would most the people on your street. The infra stucture of the grid
cannot not cope with this.

I have 63A out here (the SWA cable predates the building!) but even if I
wanted I couldn't go all the way to 100A. That's the house main fuse limit.

Andy

When I moved in (1993) I re-wired and also replaced the CU. The next
time the meter reader came, he noted the new CU and told me that they'd
send someone to upgrade the main fuse from 63A to 100A.

On the day they came, they took the fuse out, smashed the cast-iron box
to pieces, while wearing thick rubber gloves, replaced the box with a
modern moulded one, connected up, filled the cable entry with what
looked like an epoxy resin, put the new fuse in and departed.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 2:43:17 PM UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
I am putting in SWA cable to the garage, total length max 30 metres,
load just a few sockets for low powered tools, and lights, connected to 32A RCBO in the house CU. Should I use 4mm or 6mm SWA ?

Cheers,
Simon.

OK thanks all.
I've ordered 30m of 10mm 3-core SWA even though its way over for current usage.
If I ever needed to make use of its capacity I'd have to upgrade some internal wiring, but hey ho as they say.
And it will certainly sort out the earthing requirements.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/03/2019 14:00, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 2:43:17 PM UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
I am putting in SWA cable to the garage, total length max 30 metres,
load just a few sockets for low powered tools, and lights, connected to 32A RCBO in the house CU. Should I use 4mm or 6mm SWA ?

Cheers,
Simon.

OK thanks all.
I've ordered 30m of 10mm 3-core SWA even though its way over for current usage.
If I ever needed to make use of its capacity I'd have to upgrade some internal wiring, but hey ho as they say.
And it will certainly sort out the earthing requirements.

You will not regret it. Just another small point in oversizing the cable
means a smaller voltage drop and so less losses in the cable. So even a
13A sustained load (future small EV charging point) will make savings
over time.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 February 2019 11:44:34 UTC, wrote:
Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need charging overnight....

I have been informed that my 80a cutout is only sufficient for charging 1 vehicle. If I want to charge two vehicles overnight, I have to have the cutout upgraded to 100a and possibly the service Cable to the cutout.....

So a detached garage having a 3 core 25mm2 SWA cable does not now seem excessive to put in while the trench is still open instead of that 6mm2 or 10mm2 SWA cable.....

Overnight EV charging is very low current.
My EV charger is only 10 Amps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 February 2019 16:55:02 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing
daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need
charging overnight....

Dont believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead first.

I have had an electric car for seven years.
The charge leads supplied with electric cars range from 10 to 13 amps.
They go into a domestic socket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote

Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages
used for storing daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric
vehicles which will need charging overnight....

Dont believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead
first.

I have had an electric car for seven years.

Irrelevant to your stupid ALL claim above.

Milk floats in on that soggy little frigid island have been
electric for much longer than that and thats equally
irrelevant to that stupid ALL claim of yours above.

The charge leads supplied with electric
cars range from 10 to 13 amps.
They go into a domestic socket.

Irrelevant to your stupid ALL claim above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 06:51:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Irrelevant to your stupid ALL claim above.

What could be more irrelevant that your absolutely idiotic trolling on all
these groups, you nym-shifting, 85-year-old, senile troll?

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2019 19:11, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 17 February 2019 16:55:02 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing
daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need
charging overnight....

Dont believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead first.

I have had an electric car for seven years.
The charge leads supplied with electric cars range from 10 to 13 amps.
They go into a domestic socket.

Not if you have a 32A charger they don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 March 2019 21:14:03 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/03/2019 19:11, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 17 February 2019 16:55:02 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing
daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need
charging overnight....

Dont believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead first.

I have had an electric car for seven years.
The charge leads supplied with electric cars range from 10 to 13 amps.
They go into a domestic socket.

Not if you have a 32A charger they don't.

You don't need one for overnight charging.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2019 19:04, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 17 February 2019 11:44:34 UTC, wrote:
Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need charging overnight....

I have been informed that my 80a cutout is only sufficient for charging 1 vehicle. If I want to charge two vehicles overnight, I have to have the cutout upgraded to 100a and possibly the service Cable to the cutout.....

So a detached garage having a 3 core 25mm2 SWA cable does not now seem excessive to put in while the trench is still open instead of that 6mm2 or 10mm2 SWA cable.....

Overnight EV charging is very low current.
My EV charger is only 10 Amps.

That's because you have car with the battery capacity comparable to a
bulk pack of AAs from Poundland.

Most dedicated chargers (i.e. hard wired rather than plug in) will draw 6kW.

A Tesla with its more practical 130kWh battery would take more than two
and a half full days to charge at the charge rate delivered with your
charger.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2019 06:23, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 7 March 2019 21:14:03 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 07/03/2019 19:11, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 17 February 2019 16:55:02 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing
daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need
charging overnight....

Dont believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead first.

I have had an electric car for seven years.
The charge leads supplied with electric cars range from 10 to 13 amps.
They go into a domestic socket.

Not if you have a 32A charger they don't.

You don't need one for overnight charging.

But I want a car that can do 150 miles on a charge and yours obviously
can't as it runs on a couple of AA batteries.

Stick with what you know something about and it isn't electric cars!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On Thursday, 7 March 2019 21:14:03 UTC, dennis@homeÂ* wrote:
On 07/03/2019 19:11, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 17 February 2019 16:55:02 UTC, Rod SpeedÂ* wrote:
wrote

Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for
storing
daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need
charging overnight....

Dont believe that, particularly with most in here, they'll be dead
first.

I have had an electric car for seven years.
The charge leads supplied with electric cars range from 10 to 13 amps.
They go into a domestic socket.

Not if you have a 32A charger they don't.

You don't need one for overnight charging.

But I want a car that can do 150 miles on a charge and yours obviously
can't as it runs on a couple of AA batteries.

Stick with what you know something about and it isn't electric cars!

Even the basic Nissan Leaf says it has a max range of 168 miles (if
driven in eco mode) but it take 21 hours to fully charge it with a 13A
plug and socket.

Now I am sure that EV charging point grants do not apply to a place of
work. A pity really as a car sat in a car park at work for 8 hours would
be an excellent place to put it on trickle charge.

Oh but hang on, all the DBs at work are fully loaded so we cannot
provide another 80A for the 10 employees to charge their cars.

It take me 5 minutes to fill my car up and give it a 600 mile range. It
takes me 7 minutes to fill up the van and give it a 500 mile range. And
that's with the heaters on full blast when am driving it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2019 19:36, ARW wrote:
[...]

Not a problem harry says it will charge overnight from a 13A socket.
He must live above the arctic circle where nights are 24hrs in winter.

Now I am sure that EV charging point grants do not apply to a place of
work. A pity really as a car sat in a car park at work for 8 hours would
be an excellent place to put it on trickle charge.

Oh but hang on, all the DBs at work are fully loaded so we cannot
provide another 80A for the 10 employees to charge their cars.

Just turn everything else off or run them from a generator.
Its green to run an electric car wherever the electricity comes from
isn't it?

It take me 5 minutes to fill my car up and give it a 600 mile range. It
takes me 7 minutes to fill up the van and give it a 500 mile range. And
that's with the heaters on full blast whenÂ* am driving it.

I have never managed to fill mine that quick.
I need to go to a garage that has the hgv button on the pump so it goes
faster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/03/2019 20:28, dennis@home wrote:
On 08/03/2019 19:36, ARW wrote:

It take me 5 minutes to fill my car up and give it a 600 mile range.
It takes me 7 minutes to fill up the van and give it a 500 mile range.
And that's with the heaters on full blast whenÂ* am driving it.

I have never managed to fill mine that quick.
I need to go to a garage that has the hgv button on the pump so it goes
faster.

You probably have filled it that quick. It's just when you are filling a
car up you are using "watching a kettle boil minutes" not real minutes.

Time it next time you fill up.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 March 2019 19:36:43 UTC, ARW wrote:
[...]

Nobody runs their EV to depletion or anywhere near. I rarely use more then a quarter of the battery capacity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 March 2019 20:28:52 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 08/03/2019 19:36, ARW wrote:
[...]

You really are a ****-fer-brains.
My EV battery is 16Kwh capacity.
I rarely use more than a quarter of that.
So I mostly need a couple of hours charging at 10 Amps.
Dunno why people here ramble on about topics the have zero experience of.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 March 2019 11:50:31 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

How many people here will be buying a Tesla?
How many people people will run it to depletion?
The answer is none of them.
Most will run it nowhere near depletion.

95% of people use their EV for commuting and will be able to charge their car overnight from a 13a socket.
EVs mostly have batteries of 25Kwh or less.

You really are a ****e for brains.
A Kwh takes most EVs four to five miles due to regeneration and much higher efficiency.

Conductor size for earthing SWA shield to TT system? [email protected] UK diy 6 July 4th 18 11:24 PM
SWA calculation size ARWadsworth UK diy 11 March 31st 11 02:14 PM
SWA Size question Toby UK diy 12 May 13th 10 03:05 PM
What size SWA? r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 16 March 21st 05 08:57 PM
How much current safe for 30m extension? Ian Stirling UK diy 80 February 24th 05 06:26 PM