Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Electrical advice: Washing machine tripping RCD

On 17/02/2019 18:48:45, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/02/2019 12:14, Kal Ico wrote:
Thanks again for your steer.

I'm with you, Roger, that I think I will have mis-measured.Â* Yes, I
was using a low voltage AVO multimeter.Â* I have a mains tester and
even an insulation tester but would have to read up how to use them.
(I qualified as 16th Edition, years ago, but not made use of this
stuff in a long time.Â* What is it they say about the brain - if you
don't use it, you lose it!)

If the heater element is most likely to be at fault, I can remove that
(after draining down - not easy!)Â* then test that.Â* I expect they are
not too expensive to replace, so worth a try.

My alternative is a new washer, which must be circa £350.Â* This one
has done about 8 years, so not bad.Â* But I prefer to look after and
repair stuff if I can.Â* The modern ones are all so complicated, with
LCD displays for goodness sake.Â* It's a washer!

If you are gettinmg trips with the washing machine unplugged IT IS NOT
THE WASHING MACHINE

Clearly the OP wants a new washing machine. Now they'll have to find
another excuse to buy one.