Old February 12th 19, 03:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical advice: Washing machine tripping RCD

Out of the blue, my faithfull old Hoover washer tripped the RCD on my consumer unit.

After reset, it'll stay untripped when the machine is powered on at the socket, but as soon as I turn the control to anything other than 'off' the RCD trips.

The strange thing is that I've left the washing machine unplugged and yet the RCD still tripped a couple more times, but seems to have settled now and been ok for a few hours.

So, two questions:-
1. Any idea why the RCD might be tripping when machine is not plugged in (I'm assuming it is the machine that is faulty)

2. Assuming the machine is faulty, anyone know where to start looking for what could be causing the imbalance? Don't want to invest in a new machine if this one could be fixed easily/cheaply.

Note that the ring main MCB is not tripping, just the RCD for all the downstairs breakers.

I have electrical knowledge and multimeters etc. Just seeking opionions on what might be most likely.

Thanks, as always, for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Old February 12th 19, 03:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2019 15:18, wrote:
[...]

The RCD is looking as the cumulative earth leakage across all the
circuits connected to it. So it is likely that several items are adding
up to enough to cause a trip but no one item will be enough to trip it.

Progressively test the leakage of the likely culprits one at a time.
best to do the tests at mains voltage or with a megger tester as many
leaks will be voltage dependent and your LV ohm meter possibly will not
show up a fault.

Things with heating elements are worth looking at first cooker rings,
oven, dishwasher, immersion etc
Second are things with RFI filters in where capacitors have gone leaky.

Old February 12th 19, 06:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

More likely to be a pin hole in a hose near some electrical part. After all
those internal hoses do get a pounding on spin you know. I'm rather
intrigued by the memory effect of your cut out device myself. Are we totally
sure that the device itself is not suddenly ultra sensitive. Any chance of
swapping one from another circuit to prove its the appliance given the trips
when the device is unplugged.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message

I have electrical knowledge and multimeters etc. Just seeking opionions
on what might be most likely.

could be leakage of the mains filter in the machine, if you test on the
plug of the washing machine, what impedance do you see across E&L, and E&N
... megger would be better than a multimeter if you have one.

Could be a chafed cable connection e.g. neutral to earth (if it was live
to earth or to neutral it would be fuses or MCBs tripping)

Old February 12th 19, 06:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 February 2019 15:18:10 UTC, wrote:
[...]

Look for the faulty appliance(s) by resistance testing from L+N to E or case with it unplugged & its power switch on. Using a multimeter will often pick up leaky items, a megger more reliably does.

NT
Old February 12th 19, 06:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes also any anti surge socket bars as well.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old February 12th 19, 06:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

No you have a cumulative issue here. Not just one device. I'd most certainly
remove everything of that ring and test the washer on its own.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 07:18:07 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Out of the blue, my faithfull old Hoover washer tripped the RCD on my
consumer unit.

After reset, it'll stay untripped when the machine is powered on at the
socket, but as soon as I turn the control to anything other than 'off' the
RCD trips.

snip

When mine was doing that it was carbon (brush) dust on / around the
motor and blowing it out with a compressor fixed it.

In our case it was tripping when power was supplied at the wall,
*even* if the machine was off.

Cheers, T i m