Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default size SWA to garage 30m away

On 17/02/2019 11:44, wrote:
Point 3 is important particularly for detached garages used for storing daily use vehicles overnight.

Eventually we will all be driving electric vehicles which will need charging overnight....

I have been informed that my 80a cutout is only sufficient for charging 1 vehicle. If I want to charge two vehicles overnight, I have to have the cutout upgraded to 100a and possibly the service Cable to the cutout.....

So a detached garage having a 3 core 25mm2 SWA cable does not now seem excessive to put in while the trench is still open instead of that 6mm2 or 10mm2 SWA cable.....

Believe it or not the most logical thing to put in the trench is a duct
with a draw cord next to your SWA.

As for upgrading your cut out to 100A. If you have to do this then so
would most the people on your street. The infra stucture of the grid
cannot not cope with this.

Electric only vehicles may be fine many people but not ATM for me, no
matter how fast they charge or far they can travel.

They are probably suitable for my gf with her fixed mileage to work (9
miles round trip) and a couple of shopping trips a week. A 13A supply
could keep her car topped up. I seldom do less than 100 miles a day.

--
Adam