Posted to alt.home.repair
Davej Davej is offline

Default 240 electrical

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 4:14:07 PM UTC-6, Pat wrote:
I have 200 amp GE panel in my home. Total of 840 amps adding
each circuit breaker capacity. I have no air conditioning and
no electric heat. I have space and want to add one 2-pole 50
amp breaker 240v. Do I have the capacity? Thank you.

Each breaker is sized to protect the wire that is connected to
it -- they don't indicate what current you actually use. Maybe
you won't be able to bake a turkey and do laundry while using
the new 50amp welder. A 50amp circuit probably means 6/3 Romex.