Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 240 electrical

I have 200 amp GE panel in my home. Total of 840 amps adding each circuit
breaker capacity. I have no air conditioning and no electric heat. I have
space and want to add one 2-pole 50 amp breaker 240v. Do I have the capacity?
Thank you.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...l-1186283-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 22:14:03 GMT, Pat
m wrote:

I have 200 amp GE panel in my home. Total of 840 amps adding each circuit
breaker capacity. I have no air conditioning and no electric heat. I have
space and want to add one 2-pole 50 amp breaker 240v. Do I have the capacity?
Thank you.

Sounds okay but do not take my advice.

Can you get the dual breaker in the panel?
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have 200 amp GE panel in my home. Total of 840 amps adding each circuit
breaker capacity. I have no air conditioning and no electric heat. I have
space and want to add one 2-pole 50 amp breaker 240v. Do I have the capacity?
Thank you.

You really can't answer that question without knowing what the load
is. What other 240v (2 pole) breakers are in the panel and what do
they feed? (water heater, range etc)
How big is the house (approx sq/ft)
Do you have 2 empty slots?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 4:14:07 PM UTC-6, Pat wrote:
I have 200 amp GE panel in my home. Total of 840 amps adding
each circuit breaker capacity. I have no air conditioning and
no electric heat. I have space and want to add one 2-pole 50
amp breaker 240v. Do I have the capacity? Thank you.

Each breaker is sized to protect the wire that is connected to
it -- they don't indicate what current you actually use. Maybe
you won't be able to bake a turkey and do laundry while using
the new 50amp welder. A 50amp circuit probably means 6/3 Romex.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2019 5:14 PM, Pat wrote:
I have 200 amp GE panel in my home.Â* Total of 840 amps adding each circuit
breaker capacity. I have no air conditioning and no electric heat. I have
space and want to add one 2-pole 50 amp breaker 240v. Do I have the
capacity? Thank you.

Adding up the total mans nothing. Sounds like you don't have any big
load items so should be no big deal, but you can check the load.

Borrow or rent an amprobe, turn everything one and see what you draw.
My guess is you won't hit 80A,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 16 Feb 2019 16:10:06 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 4:14:07 PM UTC-6, Pat wrote:
I have 200 amp GE panel in my home. Total of 840 amps adding
each circuit breaker capacity. I have no air conditioning and
no electric heat. I have space and want to add one 2-pole 50
amp breaker 240v. Do I have the capacity? Thank you.

Each breaker is sized to protect the wire that is connected to
it -- they don't indicate what current you actually use. Maybe
you won't be able to bake a turkey and do laundry while using
the new 50amp welder. A 50amp circuit probably means 6/3 Romex.

That's silly. She can cook the turkey with the welding torch.

Another electrical puzzle: 120 from 240? David Nebenzahl Home Repair 17 February 10th 09 07:14 PM
240 volt to 120 volts JB Home Repair 13 December 19th 04 11:24 PM
LV versus 240 halogen downlighters? Rafal UK diy 24 April 5th 04 10:04 AM
Bosch Worcester 240 - no spark Rod Hewitt UK diy 2 February 28th 04 06:35 PM
Worcester 240 - Domestic hot water Richard UK diy 3 December 23rd 03 10:49 AM