Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spear shaft material?

On 2/16/2019 2:39 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:13:26 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 2/16/2019 1:40 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/Celts.Royal...5525176572271/

Now Ive got the bug to build a hunting spear.

What is the best wood to use for the shaft? It needs to be not real
springy, tough, not brittle.

Ash? Hickory? What others will be good for a minimum 6' long shaft at
least 1 1/4" in diameter?

Gunner
__

Osage orange aka bodock , bois d'arc , and probably a couple more names
I can't remember .

Where can I find a decent chunk of this..round..or big enough to turn
round?
__

Â*In your neck o' the woods , I don't know . In my neck o' the woods
about 5 miles north on SR9 on the left alongside the road . You might
try a business that caters to specialized woods for exotic projects .
Where you are you might try for a chunk of lemon wood . Actually ,
hickory is also a decent choice , as long as the grain is straight and
knot-free .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old