Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default 9v Batteries

On 2/13/2019 9:01 PM, malua mada! wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 12:48:23 PM UTC-8, Mike wrote:
You have the battery apart. What's the voltage on each individual cell?
If it's not the same, make it so.

3.823 3.826 :-)

That's gonna give you significantly reduced capacity.
If it were me, I'd set up the bench supply to 8.2V with a 50mA current
limit.
Hook that to the battery and again measure the cell voltages while charging.
That will give you an approximation to the internal resistance of the cells.

Increased resistance will cause the BMT chip to shut off charging
at a lower cell resting voltage.

Let it charge and see if it gets to 8.2V without shutting off.
They're rated at 8.4V, but I usually don't push 'em that hard.
It's difficult to know exactly what chemistry is used, but
lower voltage should improve cell life.

Another possibility is that the charger is crap. It has to do some
tests and make assumptions about which technology you're charging.
It may be getting it wrong.