Old February 11th 19, 05:44 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default 9v Batteries

Looking for less expensive 9v alkaline battery.

Please suggest best brands.

I usually buy eight or so at a time.

Forget Duracell as I have given up on Duracell and Kirkland, THEY LEAK
!!! Even just sitting in their original packaging many years before
their use by date. These have ruined many devices. And NO I am not
spending all my time removing and inserting batteries in all my devices.

I have totally dropped Duracell and Kirkland for all my AA and AAA
needs. Duracell and Kirkland have Junk battery seals. I have years
of experience using these batteries hoping they would fix the seals, but
no they just keep destroying my devices.

Amazon sells many brands but there is unfortunately no durability
comparison this or other products.

Old February 11th 19, 06:04 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:44:28 PM UTC-5, OGEE wrote:
Looking for less expensive 9v alkaline battery.

Please suggest best brands.

The best brands are those that guarantee both their products and the devices they go into.

I once had a Civil-Defense surplus Geiger counter that I purchased for $10 at a surplus auction. It took two (2) D-size batteries, which I duly inserted. My wife collected Fiesta-Ware at the time, and those pieces that were radioactive would not be used for food purposes. Most of the time, the thing sat in a closet, until one day I took it out and checked it - to find out that the two Eveready Alkaline batteries had leaked all over the innards.

Off it went to Eveready. Ten (10) days later, I received a check for $368.97 + the original postage, and a polite note stating that the cost offered was the original contract price to The Civil Defense people in 1963, and the postage - along with the admonition that I should not leave batteries in valuable idle equipment. Point taken.

Some time later, a 4-cell Maglite with Duracell batteries went off to Duracell. Took a bit longer, two (2) weeks. Back comes a new Maglite, and the old one fully cleaned and operating, together with fresh batteries.

Do you think that we will ever use anything other than these brands?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old February 11th 19, 06:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 02/11/2019 09:44 AM, OGEE wrote:
Looking for less expensive 9v alkaline battery.

Please suggest best brands.

I usually buy eight or so at a time.

Forget Duracell as I have given up on Duracell and Kirkland, THEY LEAK
!!! Even just sitting in their original packaging many years before
their use by date. These have ruined many devices. And NO I am not
spending all my time removing and inserting batteries in all my devices.

I was shocked to see the Kirkland leakage. I thought Costco chose better.

I have totally dropped Duracell and Kirkland for all my AA and AAA
needs. Duracell and Kirkland have Junk battery seals. I have years
of experience using these batteries hoping they would fix the seals, but
no they just keep destroying my devices.

Amazon sells many brands but there is unfortunately no durability
comparison this or other products.

You might want to skip Maxell too -- every single one I've used has
leaked, including when it was still in the package.

I also bought some of the Duracell 'Eneloop-like' batteries, which do
NOT hold a charge for almost a year like they're supposed to; maybe a
few weeks or months -- I use my camera infrequently now so I can't be
accurate.

--
Cheers, Bev
Subscribe today to "Fire in the Hole - the Quarterly Journal
Old February 11th 19, 10:06 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2/11/2019 9:44 AM, OGEE wrote:
Looking for less expensive 9v alkaline battery.

Please suggest best brands.

I usually buy eight or so at a time.

Forget Duracell as I have given up on Duracell and Kirkland, THEY LEAK
!!!¬*¬* Even just sitting in their original packaging many years before
their use by date.¬* These have ruined many devices.¬* And NO I am not
spending all my time removing and inserting batteries in all my devices.

I have totally dropped Duracell and Kirkland for all my AA and AAA
needs.¬*¬* Duracell and Kirkland¬* have Junk battery seals.¬* I have years
of experience using these batteries hoping they would fix the seals, but
no they just keep destroying my devices.

Amazon sells many brands but there is unfortunately no durability
comparison this or other products.

Depends on your application.
3 years ago I switched to EBL rechargeable lithium 9V batteries.
I use 'em in low drain devices like multimeters.
Haven't had to charge any of 'em yet.
They're rated at 600mAh, but I don't have any experience with high drain
usage.
Downside is that your device has to work down to 7V or so.
More expensive initially, but can have lower cost over the long haul.

Back in the day, I tried rechargeable 7.2V NiCds. Mostly useless.
The 8.4V 7-cell NiMH were better, but self discharge was an issue.
Old February 12th 19, 12:35 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

OGEE wrote:
Looking for less expensive 9v alkaline battery.

Please suggest best brands.

I usually buy eight or so at a time.

Forget Duracell as I have given up on Duracell and Kirkland, THEY LEAK
!!!¬*¬* Even just sitting in their original packaging many years before
their use by date.¬* These have ruined many devices.¬* And NO I am not
spending all my time removing and inserting batteries in all my devices.

I have totally dropped Duracell and Kirkland for all my AA and AAA
needs.¬*¬* Duracell and Kirkland¬* have Junk battery seals.¬* I have years
of experience using these batteries hoping they would fix the seals, but
no they just keep destroying my devices.

Amazon sells many brands but there is unfortunately no durability
comparison this or other products.

Try Dollar Tree, fifty cents each. For best battery results, ANY
brand, store in refrigerator crisper. Like new 1 yr later..

Old February 12th 19, 01:34 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 14:06:06 -0800, Mike wrote:

3 years ago I switched to EBL rechargeable lithium 9V batteries.
I use 'em in low drain devices like multimeters.
Haven't had to charge any of 'em yet.
They're rated at 600mAh, but I don't have any experience with high drain
usage.
Downside is that your device has to work down to 7V or so.
More expensive initially, but can have lower cost over the long haul.

Back in the day, I tried rechargeable 7.2V NiCds. Mostly useless.
The 8.4V 7-cell NiMH were better, but self discharge was an issue.

I did exactly the same thing. Most of mine live in small instruments,
digital clocks, and portable radios now use EBL 9V LiIon batteries.
However, I have seen a few problems:
1. Some bulge when recharged. If there's expansion room in the
battery compartment, no problem. Otherwise, it might jam the battery
in the battery compartment.
2. I bought 10 of these batteries for about $40.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EBL-Lot-of-600mAh-9V-Volt-6F22-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Batteries-High-Volume-1-20pcs/273615893492
I've only used 6 of these so far. 1 has failed the first time I tried
to charge it. The other 5 have survived about 3 recharges each
without incident. Reliability and quality seem to be an issue with
EBL batteries:
https://www.amazon.com/EBL-Rechargeable-Batteries-Lithium-4-Packs/dp/B00EJKIDHE/#customerReviews
3. Discharge test shows a bit low at 550 ma-hrs.
4. One of my cheap DVM's (Harbor Freight) quits before the battery
hits minimum voltage (about 6.8V).

EBL seems to be the least disgusting of the various 9V LiIon
batteries:
"#45 - 9V Li-ion batteries: capacity testing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A06SPUF8i8

The good news is that I no longer trash instruments and equipment with
leaky alkaline batteries:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/Kirkland-AAA-leak.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 12th 19, 05:57 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 2/11/2019 5:34 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I did have a problem with the first two I bought.
EBL sent me two more, no questions asked.
No problem with those.

I took the bad one apart. Turned out to be a balance problem and the
battery management shut it down. Balanced the cells and now it has been
working fine since.

I didn't buy the charger. I just charged 'em at low current to 8.2V.

Old February 12th 19, 10:52 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Any battery leaks due to a spurious // resistor.
When in use, there also is a spurious series resistor.

OGEE a √©crit le 11/02/2019 √* 18:44¬*:

Old February 12th 19, 12:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On equipment where the 9V battery is attached with a snap on connector
with wire leads, I put the battery in a small zip-lock bag. Of course
it can't be done in units where the battery connections are fixed to the
case.

Regards,
Tim

Old February 12th 19, 05:34 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Never had a serious problem with 9V batteries.

It is the AA and AAA DURACELL and KIRKLAND batteries that leak big time.

Still looking for reliable AA and AAA.

Talking about 9V batteries is not helping !

Standard Alkaline Batteries vs "Premium" Alkaline Batteries Wade Garrett Home Repair 51 December 16th 18 08:20 AM
Video showing heavy flour in AA batteries: any way for layman to testNiMH batteries? Amanda Riphnykhazova Electronics Repair 24 October 27th 13 07:33 PM
AAA Ni-Cad Batteries PaulS UK diy 3 October 28th 03 09:02 AM
WTD: Source of cheap NiMH batteries Jason Arthurs UK diy 6 September 1st 03 03:50 PM
AA Lithium batteries UK diy 10 August 27th 03 11:51 AM