Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete[_26_] Pete[_26_] is offline

Default Leaky Toilet -- how much water will it waste?

replying to Andrew Richman, Pete wrote:
Andrew. The biggest variable is how fast is it leaking? But even a tiny leak
can blow up your water bill. I have a daycare center with 30 toilets in it.
One month, the water bill, usually around $800 a month, jumped to $1200. We
checked each of the 30 toilets using a red dye (made for the purpose). Pour
some of the red dye into the tank and watch the bowl. Don't flush the toilet.
If red dye starts to appear in the bowl, the toilet is leaking. We found only
two of the 30 toilets were leaking, but those two,. over a one month period,
were enough increase our water bill 50%. We now do a weekly inspection of all
the toilets. Don't let a leaky toilet go. Total waste of money (and water).

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...te-554620-.htm