Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical advice: Washing machine tripping RCD

On 12/02/2019 20:10, wrote:
Wow! Just wow! Thanks so much guys - this is all really good advice.

It did strike me that it could be the RCD at fault. I will run a long cable to a socket that's hung off the other RCD and see if the washer still trips it. I can also plug the washer directly into a portable 30mA trip RCD.

The suggestion re carbon in the motor could well be worth looking at. I reaplced the brushes in the motor with new ones about 3 months ago, so it could be 'dusty' in there. That said, it trips even when the control knob is set to somethign that doesn't immediately run the motor.

Classic case of trying to think what else has changed, isn't it. There are some recenlty fitted under-cupboard/over-worktop lights. They seemed decent fittings when I bought them, but after running for a few hours, the 20W Halogen G4 bulbs caused some of the plastic to melt. Nice huh! I've replaced them with 1.7W LED lamps, so they will run cooler. But that was done 2 days ago, so maybe a culprit. (Though they were all switched off when the trip happened. It looked very much like the washer tripping it, but there are some good points here about why the washer might be just taking it over the edge).

Thanks to all - I will report back in the morning. Cheers

Two things have tripped me up before.

1/. Neutral earth shirt somewhere.
2/. Water on wiring somewhere.

Bothe of these make the whole system more senstive, but do not
necessarily flip the trip.

Actual hard cases of serious appliance earth leakage have been somewhat
less.

Lucas Bergkamp