Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Rant about LED floodlights

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 10:18:53 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google wrote:

For our house, we bought some wall-mounted lanterns with IR sensors. And fitted BC-based LEDs with a rating of around 3W. The LEDs are replacable, of course. Cable through wall with no likelihood of water ingress even with our heavy rain and strong wind. Used car wax over the outside to help shuck rain and keep clean.

Very happy. Perfectly adequate light for the cat, doing the bins, the gate, visitors at front door.

Mine are lanterns with the socket at the top, so the lamp points downwards.
Used E27 R63 lamps, 120 deg angle to avoid more than 60 deg throw. (W, 700
lm.
They can be seen from level or above, but only as a light on, not as a
glare. When the R63s go phut I'll perhaps use 120 deg. GU10s and they'll
have even less overspill.
It's also very easy to put a 'skirt' on the lamp - or even black marker - to
limit direction if needed.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away