Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Well - done

On 02/12/2019 12:41 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Kid brother did LDT for many years -Atlanta to Fairbanks, Vancouver
to Brownsville, Florida to Edmonton,Toronto to San Diego, in and out
of New Jersey from Winterpeg, up and down the west coast, New York to
LA, just about any run you could imagine, as well as a season on the
ice. He HATED New Jersey.

There is a lot to hate in NJ.

For several years he team drove with his wife, and on west coast runs
he always had the Kayaks strapped to the back of the sleeper. He told
dispatch he didn't care if he had a 1 week layover in Cali or Oregon -
he'd wait for a GOOD load out and ENJOY some down time. One year he
was "home" in Saskatchewan for a total of EIGHT DAYS.

With the bicycle I never minded downtime, particularly California
downtime in the winter. I'd get home every now and then but that had
it's drawbacks. About the only thing going out of town was liner board
from the pulp mill. It didn't pay but it got you back into action.
Canada was the same. I'd bring furniture in but we couldn't run between
two points in Canada so you took whatever you got that was going back to
the States.

Furniture and carpets were what really made money for the company.
Shippers knew that so you'd bring good paying loads into Denver and take
dog food out.

It was fun for a while. I wanted to drive a truck when I was a kid so I
took a little break from software in the '90s to do it. No way would I
have wanted to look at the rest of my life and think this is how it's
going to be. After a couple of years I'd head for AZ in November and go
back to work in the spring.