Old February 7th 19, 08:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well - done

Installers just left. Drilling and casing yesterday took less than 5
hours. Not sure of depth, maybe 160 ft, but recovery rate is about 25
gpm which is great.

Today we were without water for about 6 hours for installation of pump
trenching and hook up and replacement of old water tank. They have to
come back in good weather to finish raking and grading and straw and I
guess seed. Have yet to see bill. They could not salvage the new pump
that plumber put in.

Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next week
when chlorine is run out. Digger said just because new well is less
than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the same. I
just hope it does not need treatment. Some neighbors do and a few only
drink bottled water.

Old February 7th 19, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2019 3:37 PM, Frank wrote:
Installers just left.* Drilling and casing yesterday took less than 5
hours.* Not sure of depth, maybe 160 ft, but recovery rate is about 25
gpm which is great.

Today we were without water for about 6 hours for installation of pump
trenching and hook up and replacement of old water tank.* They have to
come back in good weather to finish raking and grading and straw and I
guess seed.* Have yet to see bill.* They could not salvage the new pump
that plumber put in.

Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next week
when chlorine is run out.* Digger said just because new well is less
than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the same.* I
just hope it does not need treatment.* Some neighbors do and a few only
drink bottled water.

Good flow rate. Wells often have advantages if you have good water and
no treatment needed. Before I added filters in my CT house we used to
fill jugs from a friend's well for drinking. So far, the water here has
been good.

Water and sewer will cost about $800 a year. Our sewer rate is much
higher than what we pay for water. Water last month was $18, sewer was
$41. Trash collection was $14 for twice a week pickup.
Old February 7th 19, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Water and sewer will cost about $800 a year. Our sewer rate is much
higher than what we pay for water. Water last month was $18, sewer was
$41. Trash collection was $14 for twice a week pickup.

twice per week ! ? garbage.
We're once every 2 weeks ...
John T.

Old February 8th 19, 01:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2019 4:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/7/2019 3:37 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

I think sewer rate here is a little lower but water much higher. A
bachelor friend pays about $40 and families about $100/month. Over the
long haul you can save with well and septic but when a fix is needed you
get socked all at once. I think I would prefer the stable route in part
because government specifications change. Two neighbors when they sold
their houses were forced to put chemical treatment facilities in that
take grey water from septic tank into a tank that removes most bacteria
and heavy metals before hitting the leach field. County must have
tightened up on perk rate of septic fields. Fortunately I have
evaporation beds. It cost these neighbors $25,000 each.

Trash and recycle removal once a week cost about $60 for 3 months.

Our old well when installed had recovery rate of 30 gpm. Water was
great with no treatment. When my parents were alive and their city
water got over chlorinated because of a spill they would get their
drinking water from me.

Old February 8th 19, 03:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/07/2019 01:37 PM, Frank wrote:
Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next week
when chlorine is run out. Digger said just because new well is less
than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the same. I
just hope it does not need treatment. Some neighbors do and a few only
drink bottled water.

Worst case you get sulfur... When I was a kid we had a dug shallow
well. After my father died my mother had a new well drilled because that
was 'better'. Nothing like a hot shower that smells like a fart. The
coffee was great too.

Old February 8th 19, 12:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2019 10:25 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/07/2019 01:37 PM, Frank wrote:
Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next week
when chlorine is run out.* Digger said just because new well is less
than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the same.* I
just hope it does not need treatment.* Some neighbors do and a few only
drink bottled water.

Worst case you get sulfur...* When I was a kid we had a dug shallow
well. After my father died my mother had a new well drilled because that
was 'better'. Nothing like a hot shower that smells like a fart. The
coffee was great too.

I'm familiar with that from a friends hunting camp in central PA. You
could not drink or cook with the water. We had to go downhill a couple
of hundred yards to get spring water to drink.

This is gas and coal country and in fact when they bought the camp they
did not know mineral rights were separate and they got sold to a gas
company before they found out. The gas company came in many years later
and put 2 wells on the 40 acre property. The camp gets free gas.
Old February 8th 19, 01:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/19 7:10 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Our old well when installed had recovery rate of 30 gpm.* Water was
great with no treatment.* When my parents were alive and their city
water got over chlorinated because of a spill they would get their
drinking water from me.

I used to live in the country, and we had well water. It was really good
for drinking, but bad for washing (takes too long to get the soap out).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." -- Graham Greene,
1981