Horatio Hornblower

Default Washing machine drain backs up!

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:45:47 -0500, Speedy Jim wrote:

:Horatio Hornblower wrote:
:
: I finally got my washing machine installed and turned it on with a load
: of laundry.
:
: Machine:
:
: 110.91511100 - Whirlpool built direct drive style Sears washer, top
: loader, large, built in 1995.
:
: The water came out of the top of the standpipe when the machine was
: pumping water out the drain hose. The standpipe is 2 inch. I'd run a
: hose down it for a couple of minutes (flow rate about 5 gallons/minute)
: to make sure it could handle that. This pipe hadn't seen any flow for
: over 20 years at least. Satisfied that it could handle 5 gallons/minute,
: I figured I was OK.
:
: You had at one point talked about a laundry tub.
: If you can squeeze a small single tub (poly?) in the space
: and route the washer drain into the tub, that may solve the
: overflow problem. The tub acts as an accumulator.
:Jim

Absolutely, and I was thinking about just that an hour or so after it
happened. I'm wondering if I can find one small enough. Do they have
them at HD? If I can find a sink that's only 2 feet wide, it will JUST
fit. Maybe I can fit one if it's only 2 feet from front to back, if I
turn it sideways, that is.

Easiest thing to try right now would be my idea of removing the trap and
trying a straight run of 2 inch PVC, or ABS or whatever they call this
stuff (black 2 inch plastic). That would cost me less than $5 (adaptor +
2 feet of pipe, or just the adaptor if I want to cut the pipe from the
trap I already have... but if I do that, I can't reuse that trap later).

I live a block or so from a tool lending library. Guess I'll ask them if
I can borrow a drain snake.