Posted to sci.electronics.repair
malua mada! malua mada! is offline

Default 9v Batteries

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 9:58:01 PM UTC-8, Mike wrote:

I took the bad one apart. Turned out to be a balance problem and the
battery management shut it down. Balanced the cells and now it has been
working fine since.

I didn't buy the charger. I just charged 'em at low current to 8.2V.

I just had a 9v EBL commit suicide in an old Fluke thermometer that has no low power shutoff. zero volts battery now at the terminals.

Took the battery apart. Both 702335 cells have 3.2 VDC and are wired in series... how would you "balance" that?
Positive side is connected straight to the connector. Negative side I can follow to an 8pin IC at pins (2,3) whereas opposite pins (6,7) are connected to where the power needs to go.
A wee little jumper perhaps?
The IC has no markings I can see... don't even know where number one pin is.
Measured ohms between the input and output pins and wouldn't you know it now it decides to conduct and I get voltage at the battery terminals. Darn.
THe question was going to be: how stupid / dangerous would installing a jumper be?

Thanks anyways
Fritz
believer in fixing by posting questions