Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Furnace filters

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:39:09 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 3:16:22 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
A dirty filter:

1) Reduces the airflow available to the heat exchanger. This could
result
in the high-limit switch opening, which will increase the cycle
time
(and blow colder air util the high-limit switch closes after the
heat
exchanger cools sufficiently, rinse and repeat).

2) Causes the blower to work harder, which consumes additional power
and
prematurely ages the blower.

A dirty filter does a couple of things.

It reduces air flow, perhaps very slightly to a lot.

It increases the efficiency of filtration. Dirty filters catch more dirt
and work better, up to the point where reduced air flow becomes a
problem.

If you reduce airflow enough, you might have coil freezeups or other
problems. Residential systems tend to need a steady airflow across the
coil, balanced to the temperature and the amount of charge. The old ones
aren't intelligent enough to adjust, I dunno about more recent ones.

If your filter is dirty enough, theoretically it might rupture and spill
unfiltered air into the equipment. The purpose of a filter is mainly to
protect the equipment, not the humans. I haven't seen this happen in a
residential system but I have in a commercial one. So I don't know if
that's really a problem in a house.

I change my filter when I hear the sound in the return increase. That's
probably about 3 months or so, I don't keep track. I just cleaned my
refrigerator coils last night, they were caked with dust. (I have that
stupid double A coil setup, where you can only reach the outer two rows.)

I wonder why the refrigerator companies haven't designed in a filter?
Same problem here, the coils are tucked underneath, you can't get to
anything
more than the front of it to try to clean it. Not only would it be of
benefit to us, but it would be another revenue source for the companies,
selling the replacement filters. These suck in air at the worst place,
right at the floor surface where they pull in dust, pet hair, etc and
get dirty fast.

In reality you dont get an accumulation of muck around the fridge
compressor, essentially because air isnt blown over the exposed coils
at the back of the fridge or freezer, they are cooled by convection.

You dont get an accumulation of muck even with frost free fridges and
freezers which blow the cold air thru the inside of the fridge or freezer.

The most you get with my fridge in very humid weather is a bit of a
burble when you close the door due to the feed of the water that
is condensed out of the air before the air is moved into the body
of the fridge being under the water surface in the bowl on top of the
compressor where it evaporates due to the compressor waste heat.