Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Another Smart meter grumble

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Sunday, 10 February 2019 10:16:15 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 10/02/2019 06:13, Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
David wrote:
I've booked my install because it is a requirement for the tariff I
am on.

Nearly at the end they ask if you want information collecting every
30
minutes, weekly or monthly (IIRC).

Well, if I'm going to get any value at all I might as well have
enough
data to see daily trends.

Hang on, if I ask for 30 minute data capture I have to agree to EDF
using
the information to offer me services to improve my energy usage. So
reversing the privacy options that I have selected.

I'm having data collected monthly.

Remind me again how this Smart meter is going to save me money?

It won't save money

Corse it will when having one allows him to use a time of use tariff
and save money by doing the higher power operations like the
washing machine and dishwasher when the electricity costs less.

We already have a thing called Economy 7 that lets us do that. Cheaper
electricity from midnight to 7am or so; predictable so can be used with
storage and water heaters and run the washing machine overnight. Smart
meters could allow that in a much less predictable way at the whim of
the supplier who might decide that it would be better to have our main
meal in the evening rather than mid day.

Though given the number of reports of fires due to domestic
appliances, what once seemed an appealing way of saving
money is now a questionable approach on safety grounds.

Yes, I know that the number of fires is still small and the
number of people saving is large, but I am not at all sure
that I would now be happy allowing my washing machine
to run overnight. And most especially, not tumble dryer.

Not hard to have a decent alarm that wakes you.

You should have some anyway.