Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Another Smart meter grumble

In article , Max Demian
wrote:
On 10/02/2019 09:39, Brian Gaff wrote:

I was told the new ones are the ones that can do the job properly, and
have updatable firmware. Not that I've been offered one since the
talking terminal has not yet come in in sufficient quantities
apparently. I guess if you go for faster data, then you can monitor it
via a smart phone. For some reason they will not let you get the meter
onto your network and hence be easy to get at on computers and phones.
Is this perhaps a security issue, or more to do with trying to keep the
calculation of the money as a black art?

Would you really want your electricity supplier to have access to your
home network? Are you (or anyone else) sure you would be able to stop
them from seeing the contents of your hard drives?

Of course, if they turn off your supply via your home network, they won't
be able to turn it back on. ;-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England