Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another Smart meter grumble

On Sunday, 10 February 2019 09:33:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
"David" wrote in message

Remind me again how this Smart meter is going to save me money?

You wont have to pay the wages of the meter reader in what they
charge you for the electricity they supply you and if you are on a
time of use tariff as you likely are if the smartmeter is required for
you to have that tariff, you save by being able to time your higher
loads like washing machine and dishwasher runs when the
electricity is cheaper.

We are on a 'time of use' tariff and don't have a smart meter, the
meter simply has two counters, one for peak and one for off-peak.

We see a meter reader once a year or less, the cost must be trivial.
We send 'real' readings by E-Mail monthly.

1 - 5 minutes per house, say average 3 mins at (guess) £10 an hour = 50p a year. Adding employment costs increases that, but not to anything that makes it worth installing a smart meter for that purpose.

NT

We have little or no mobile coverage so a smart meter probably won't
work anyway.