Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace filters

On 2/5/2019 1:17 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Cold air returns in the floor are not typical.

Nor atypical, particularly in retrofitted older homes. Cold air returns at
floor level on a wall are also not atypical, even in newer homes (as that's
where the cold air is during heating season).

I can understand that. As my house has a heat pump I guess that being
several feet off the floor is a good compromise for the air return. All
the outputs are at the floor level. Just an easy way to put them I
guess.

Floor level outlets are common for heat. Some houses would have a floor
level damper that was open for heat, then closed for the AC and a
register near the ceiling was opened for AC.

My new house has the vents in the ceiling but it is mostly the AC as we
use little heat in Florida. I also have ceiling fans in most rooms too.