Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default All your fears about Smart meters confirmed

On 05/02/2019 08:42, Michael Chare wrote:
On 05/02/2019 08:02, Brian Reay wrote:
On 04/02/2019 18:18, David wrote:
https://www.hra.nhs.uk/planning-and-...h/application-
summaries/research-summaries/health-monitoring-using-smart-meters/

Also on the front page of the Daily Fail.

"Our novel technology assesses an individuals personal physical and
mental-health by monitoring their electricity usage at home. This is
achieved by processing data collected from smart meters, which captures
detailed habits of an individuals interactions with electrical devices.
The technology identifies any anomalies in a persons routine, which is
the result of a health-related condition. For example, an Alzheimers
patient leaving an oven on or person suffering with depression remaining
awake at night. This is achieved by employing advanced data analytics,
known as machine learning, to understand trends in electricity usage.
The
system can identify when an individual gets up, goes to bed, eats, their
location within the home and a bad nights sleep. Essentially, the
technology creates a personalised profile of the users behaviour at
home."

So spying on you and profiling you through the Smart Meter.

Which we were assured would never happen.

Next step targeted advertising.

I'm no fan of Smart meters but their potential use to monitor the
elderly / infirm etc seems a very good idea-Â* if it is found to be
reliable.

As for using the same data to 'spy' on people, even for advertising,
I'm less paranoid than some.Â* If EON / Southern Electric want to know
that I have a coffee mid morning, dinner around 6pm, the heating is
set for xyz etc ....., is it really that invasive? If a total stranger
asked if I enjoyed a mid morning coffee, I'd not worry about answering.

Criminals working for the suppliers might like to know when you are not
at home.

There are far easier ways to do that.

(No car on drive etc)

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.