Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Furnace filters

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 19:23:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.
I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and MERV 8 regardless
of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11? We have no pets.
I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?
Discount filters seems cheapest.

I like to find a good deal - and buy 2 - 3 years worth.
My filters are 20 x 20 x 1 and I try to change them every
5 weeks ~ 4 or 5 filters per year no summer A/C

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/f...3472p.html#spc

Presently, these can be found at our Habitat Re-Store for $ 13. each.

Similar no-name are available for $ 15.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...5316p.html#srp

MERV 8 are 2 for $ 11.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...3408p.html#srp

Fill your boots.

A piece of green painters tape applied to the filter edge
with the install date marked is a handy reminder.

John T.