Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Garage doors for maximum height

"T i m" wrote in message
p.s. the up-and-over door my pre-fab-concrete garage came with was 8'
square and because so I only need just over 6' (6' 6") for the
personal door I put a bar across at that height and some skylights
above (one fixed, two opening). I did consider making that hinge up
from the bottom to give me the full height but as I have things
suspended from the roof (like material stock and folding boats) there
probably wouldn't be much point. ;-)

Why is it that garages are still made with the doorway significantly
narrower than the garage itself? There's no advantage in a garage being wide
enough to open the car doors if you risk scraping the paint off the wings
every time you try to get the car in and out of the garage.

Likewise, a lot of double garages have two single doors (*) with a dirty
great brick plinth between them, when a good RSJ or concrete lintel should
be able to allow a double-width door. OK, a double door is heavier but that
just means it needs heavier counterweights or stronger counter-springs.

(*) So there is no advantage over two separate single garages.